ii. all too well

Arzaya

Basically, my VCR consists of me reading out a script under a camera and reporting a broadcast. Also, they tested if I'd look confident enough in the camera and, apparently, if I looked good in camera—which was a little questionable since they should be looking at the reporter's potential and close out all physical aspects.

Nevertheless, I was a little nervous waiting outside the media room as they asked me to wait while they assessed my other qualities.

The question is, do I really want this?

I do. It has been my goal since I graduated high school.

But then, would I be okay working with Stephen again?

Hard to tell. It was the main thing that's been bothering me since I got this offer. It held me back, if I'm being honest, but I decided to deal with it later and focus on getting a secure job.

Besides, I wasn't doing this for anyone but myself.

"Arzaya?" Vernon came out of the office and beamed at me cheerfully. He really reminded me of Eric, in some ways.

I immediately got up and held in a breath. "Hi."

He held out a hand. "Congratulations, the CSN Bay Area wants to hire you as the Warriors sideline reporter. You may sign the contract now if you're ready."

It felt like hearing my name get called and being announced having latin honors in college.

"This is not a dream, right?" I asked, still dazed.

"Only if you don't mess it all up," he said, shrugging. "But surprisingly, the media heads loved your presence on camera and your knowledge about basketball. I'm sure it would be easy for you to adapt in this kind of industry."

I thanked all the saints for this opportunity given to me and I pledged not to waste it for anything. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity and surely, many other people would have died for my spot, yet at some inexplicable force of luck, I happened to be the luckiest among them.

"Thank you," I told him happily, truly. "I'd be glad to sign the contract."

"Okay, good! That's the spirit," he cheered playfully. "By the way, once you've signed the contract, you'd be working for the team as soon as possible. There's no time to waste. The season is about to start."

Oh, I was hella excited. I couldn't wait to be in that arena and do my most desired job and be the best I can be.

---

"Shay!"

I enveloped my best friend in a tight hug as soon as I got inside the boba store. After years of being friends with her, Shay has only gotten prettier than ever. Her hair was darker though, rather than the dirty blonde she sported back then. Her skin was still tan but her body was more defined. I guess that went along with her going back to dancing again.

"Omg! Omg! Omg!" she squealed. "I'm so excited for you—no, I'm excited to be working with you. We're such a tandem!"

We walked towards one of the chairs, seeing as she already ordered me my favorite drink.

"I know!" I told her. "Like, I didn't expect I would get in that easily."