Onward And Upward

Azarath finally landed at the edge of the forested area, near the trailhead leading up to the cliffs. With the thick brush blocking the way and low hanging branches, it had become nearly impossible to ride the beautiful black mare, so Kara walked ahead of Jeriel, leading the horse.

After a while, leading Azarath through the forest proved difficult so Jeriel decided to turn her loose, to hunt for her lunch, alone.

"Won't we need Az to get back to the castle?" Kara asked as she watched the horse gallop away.

"She'll come back when I call her. Azarath is a very loyal horse." Jeriel replied, straightening the strap on the satchel over his shoulder. "We'll get back home."

"Home?" Kara snapped. "Once I'm done with this mirror thing I'm going back home."

Jeriel stopped in his tracks, appalled at Kara's words. "You are home, Kara. This is your home."

She turned and looked him straight in the eye. "This is not my home. You took me from my home, and I want to go back."

"What? You want to go back to your boring human life and your empty apartment, or are you hoping Dante's there so he can finish what he started?" Jeriel snapped back.

Kara whipped around, landing her open palm against his cheek, smacking him hard. "You can go to hell, too." She said, angry tears starting to burn in her eyes.

Jeriel immediately regretted his words. "Ok. I deserved that." He said, holding his burning cheek. "Look, I'm sorry. It just seems like every time I think I'm getting closer to you, you push me away again."

"Have you ever thought there might be a reason for that?" She snapped again. "Maybe I don't want you that close." She turned and stormed off, leaving him speechless.

"Kara, wait." He sighed as the sting of her sharp words wore off. He set off, following her deeper into the forest, trying to catch up. When he finally saw her again he called out to her.

"Kara, stop, please."

She kept walking, focusing her energy into locating the mirror piece, she knew was somewhere in this forest.

Suddenly, Jeriel heard a rustling in the brush, just ahead, between himself and Kara.

"Kara, stop." He ordered.

"Shut up."

"Don't move." He directed. "You stubborn...." his words trailed off. He threw off his satchel as darted toward her, grabbing her shoulders. He tugged her quickly away from the sound, and the pair fell, tumbling to the ground.

Kara tried to protest, but he gently placed his hand over her mouth, silently hushing her. She shook her head and wriggled, trying to get out of his grip, until she heard the rustling sound, herself.

They both sat, frozen in place as the sound traveled around them, slowly. Jeriel carefully inched his hand down to a large stick that lay nearby. With a swift motion, he pushed Kara away, to the side and raised the stick, in both hands, to brace against the oncoming attacker. A rush of orange and black whizzed by as Jeriel was thrown to the ground. As the tiger pounced on him again, Jeriel lifted the stick, wedging it between the large, strong jaws. He wrestled against the tiger's weight as it pressed down on him.

Kara watched in horror as the fight wore on. She glanced down and noticed a large rock near her and crawled over to retrieve it. Jumping to her feet, she rushed to the foray, the rock held high above her head. Judging for the right moment, she swung the rock, letting it fly toward the tiger's head. With a loud thump the stone found it's mark, stunning the large beast long enough for Jeriel to jump to his feet.