The Strength From Within

"Damn that girl! " Jeriel exclaimed angrily as he Aridane and Geridane searched the castle corridors for Kara. Geridane and Mararanth split off in a different direction to search, while Aridane and Jeriel continued together.  Jeriel rubbed the back of his head and brushed the rubble dust out of his hair from his abrupt meeting with the wall, cursing under his breath.

"Jer, you have to understand, she's emotional and unstable right now. A lot has happened to her in the past few weeks and she's having trouble trying to cope. You know she doesn't know how strong she is. If she knew she wouldn't have hurt us."

"Oooh. I could just kill her." Jeriel mumbled without thinking, ignoring Aridane.

Aridane quickly spun around and smacked him across his face. Stunned, Jeriel stood wide eyed staring at her, hand placed over the still stinging spot on his cheek.

"What the hell was that for?" he asked, incredulously.

"I don't ever want to hear you talk like that again." Aridane replied.

"You know, I could have you put to death for striking the prince." Jeriel shot back angrily.

"What prince? I see no prince, just a spoiled brat who can't deal with a bit of stubbornness from a girl. Have you forgotten how you used to feel about her, or has your memory been erased too?"

Jeriel stepped closer to her."Watch your mouth, woman."

Aridane snickered to herself."You need to calm yourself. Back off and shut up. Kara is somewhere in this castle, scared and hurt. We need to find her."

Jeriel took a deep breath, realizing he was behaving exactly like Dante had in the past."You're right, Ari. I'm sorry."

Aridane smiled warmly and patted his shoulder."It's ok, Jer. I know you're stressed out too. I understand. It has to be hard on you to have her back, and she doesn't remember you at all."

Jeriel looked down, for a moment, thinking. He shook his head, slighty, shaking off the oncoming rush of emotion, and took a breath."We gotta find Kara."

The two walked down the corridors in silence for a while before Jeriel spoke again."I haven't forgotten how I feel about her. That's what makes this so hard. I mean I ...." His words trailed off as they heard hurried footsteps, rushing up the hallway.

Gasping for air, and visibly shaken, Geridane ran toward them."I found her. She's in the library."

"What?! Oh no." Jeriel's blood ran cold.

Scared for his old friend's life, Jeriel started running as fast as his legs would carry him. As he neared, he could hear, over the pouring rain outside, the shifting of stones and the echo of debris falling from the remains of what was once a beautiful, massive, library. He stopped short of entering the decrepit ruins, and stood in the open doorway, scanning for signs of life. In amongst the fallen ceiling beams and huge demolished sections of the grand staircase, he could just make out Kara's outline, climbing through the clutter.

"Kara!" he called out, helplessly.

"Go away!" she yelled back, echoing through the remains of the walls, sandy debris shifting and falling from it's achors.

"Please Kara. It's not safe in there. Just come out, I'll leave you alone, just...please." He pleaded.

Aridane and Geridane caught up to Jeriel to see him pleading with the distressed Kara.

"Go away, Jeriel! I want nothing to do with you!" As she spoke, more dusty rubble fell from above her.

"Damn you." Jeriel muttered under his breath.