The Council

Kara woke the next morning in her room, alone. Neither Jeriel or Aridane, her almost constant morning companions, were anywhere around. She dressed herself in the blue peasant style dress Aridane had provided for her to wear. She stuck her feet in her new, satin ballet slipper style shoes, marveling at how comfortable they were. She grabbed the brush off the nightstand, brushing the knots out of her auburn hair, making sure she looked as wonderful as she felt in the dress. Kara took a deep breath before leaving the room, making her way down the chilly corridor, felling as if she were gliding along, toward the Grand Hall. Delicious scents of breakfast items, both sweet and savory, greeted her as she walked in the huge room. The tables in the hall had been rearranged, gathered all together in a U shape, with the large chair Jeriel let her sit in, featured prominently in the middle of the U. The massive breakfast spread was laid out, covering almost all available space on the tables, except for the place settings in front of each and every chair.

Kara was surprised to find she was the first to arrive to the morning meal and Council meeting.

After only a few minutes, the orange haired Avadaria entered the room, to see Kara standing there, alone.

"Good morning, Miss Kara." Avadaria said, bowing in respect.

Kara smiled, warmly."Good morning."

Awkward silence followed their exchange, until Aridane and Geridane came in.

"Ah, Kara my dear! I see you found the dress I left for you. I trust it's comfortable?" Aridane proclaimed as she threw her arms around Kara's neck, hugging her.

"It's wonderful, Ari, thank you!" Kara replied. She felt more like herself, in the dress, than she ever had in any of the other world, civilian clothes.

With a smile the four who had already assembled all sat at the same table, with their backs to the doorway. Kara seated herself at the end, nearest the adjoining table. The servants, having finished the necessary preparations, seated themselves at the table on the other side of the U. The last to arrive were Jeriel and Jezebeth, at which point everyone gathered in the room stood in respect, that is, all but Kara. She stayed seated, a bit uncomfortable being in the same room as Jeriel again.

As they walked behind her, to their table, she could hear Jezebeth sigh in contempt. The golden eyed woman stopped behind Kara's chair, raising her hand to smack the back of Kara's head.

"You! Peasant. Stand and show your respect to your prince!" Jezebeth sneered.

A half smirk crawled across Kara's face as she carefully placed her hands on the edge of the table. In one quick movement, she pushed against the table, stood and shoved her chair back into Jezebeth's legs as hard as she could, knocking her over.

Kara mockingly bowed as Jezebeth hurried to her feet, with whispered snickers coming from behind her.

Jezebeth growled and lunged toward Kara, but Jeriel grabbed the enraged Canid woman before she could strike. Snarling and growling, she threatened Kara."I'm going to tear you limb from limb."

The green in Kara's eyes suddenly intensified. She balled up her fists and felt the all too familiar energy wave begin in her chest."Well, come on, sweetheart, I'm waiting." Kara saw the woman try to lunge for her, but Jeriel held tight. There was a flurry of commotion behind Kara as Aridane, Geridane and Avadaria all jumped in to prevent Kara from attacking Jezebeth. It took all three to pull her back and calm her down as Jeriel pulled his furious compatriot to the opposite end of his table, away from Kara.

Kara took a deep breath, settling down."Jeriel, you need to keep your bitch on a leash, before she gets hurt." She added.

Jeriel strode over to where Kara was standing and got very close to her, yelling, but Kara yelled back. The gathered couldn't tell what exactly they were screaming at each other as they competed to yell louder than the other.