Chapter Two

As Élisabet lay in bed, she tossed and turned in an attempt to find comfort. Her insides were being burnt and fried then shredded into tiny morsels. The pain was too much; she tried to call out but no sound left her throat. It was morning before her ladies found her. Her eyes were blood shot in crazed agony. They called for the doctor. Her temperature raged. Magdalena placed a cool cloth upon her head. Leeches covered her arms as the court physician tried to balance her humors, but the leeches would not stay latched. Some shriveled up and died right there on her arm. Lasting on into the next morning, Élisabet writhed and contorted as her body was broken and pieced back together bit by bit.

Finally, she slept again, but when the light began to break into her chamber shrieking-agony found her once more as the light touched her skin. Élisabet flew from her bed with an unfamiliar athleticism, only finding comfort when tucked safely within a dark corner. She shouted for her ladies to draw the curtains tighter – insisting that no light should enter her room. When the women entered, Élisabet felt a new sensation -- an overwhelming thirst formed in her throat. She was parched. She downed a glass of wine and a glass of water, but her throat still ached with dryness.

The ladies approached her after drawing the curtains tighter as she had demanded. They looked at her with a wariness as they drew closer to her. They had something to tell her and it was bad news. They urged the princess to sit down, to lay back down, as she was not yet fully recovered. One girl began to cry and Élisabet knew it must be bad, really bad, and yet, her thirst was still foremost on her mind, but she did as they asked. She returned to bed, asking for more water, more wine, anything to quench her unquenchable thirst. It was then, as she lay in bed gulping down another goblet of water, that they told her:

'Juan was attacked on his way home. He is dead. He is no more. It was Élisabet's father's orders that the knights ambush Juan; it had been his plan all along. He only lured Juan with the promise of marriage to you to make him feel secure -- to catch him off guard. He never really had any intention of allowing you to go off and marry him.'

They told her the knights had said that Élisabet's father saw her as far too valuable a chess piece to send off with some foreigner. Her prostituting ways should stay and benefit her own country -- to be used in her father's diplomatic matters just as she has always done. The Bible says after all that a child should honor and obey the father. What good is a daughter for a king if she cannot be traded for political purposes? They had overheard the Queen screaming at her husband calling him an evil and unfeeling man, the worst scum, and other words that they dare not repeat for fear of being found to be treasonous for even repeating such words.

Élisabet's rage overcame her thirst for a brief moment. She stood from the bed slowly and walked to the door. Her head held high and appearing to be in an almost catatonic calm. Élisabet made her way to the throne room where her parents sat ready to receive their people and hold court. Élisabet walked right up to the throne and curtsied to her father. "Oh, father, how wise thou art. I have heard of the brave way that you defeated Juan. How right you were to use me in this little game of yours, with no thought to my heart, no thought of how this would affect me, how I would spend my life knowing that I am at fault for the death of that brave and kind man.

"You got what you wished as usual, but you have lost your daughter -- your little pawn. I will no longer call you father. I will no longer do your evil bidding. I want no part of it. You have taken everything from me. You have killed any love that my heart may have once held. I will provide you with no grandchildren, and I see nothing but death and bad luck for you in the future. There is nothing left for us. Nothing worth saving in this family. We are unholy people. You do not know how his death grieves me. I wish to die. I no longer want to remain a part of this world. He did not deserve to die, but you do father!"