Chapter Eight

Luke, Shae, Shad and, I all sit around the edge of the pool with only our feet in the water. Lilly and Shelly run around with Aaliyah and Nate's two Husky dogs, Simba and Nala.

Nate is busy grilling burgers and hot dogs while, Aaliyah sits in a lounger watching us with a huge smile on her face.

In the back of my mind, I feel like I'm slightly betraying my mother by being here. Yet, this life seems so much better than the one I had before.

My mother used to be so much fun but, after she had Lilly, she started taking drugs. Luke thinks it was cocaine but, we're not sure.

I sigh and lift my head up to look up at the darkening sky. I remember how bad things used to be. My Dad would come home, they would fight, he would hit her and he would go missing. When he was gone, Mom would get high and cry herself to sleep every night until he came back.

"Oh,  no! Simba! Don't!" Aaliyah yelled but it was too late and soon, Luke, Shad, Shae and, I we're splashed with water as he jumped in the pool to retrieve his ball.

I squealed as water splashed on my face and got on my glasses.

Shae laughed and tried to get out the way but, was splashed too.

Luke and Shad just laughed then, jumped in the pool with Simba.

Nate and Aaliyah laughed too until they heard someone crying. All eyes were on Shelly and Lilly as the two stood crying.

Aaliyah was up before Shae and I and ran to them.

"What's wrong? Did the dogs hurt you? Did you fall? Are you hurt?" She asked frantically checking each of them for bruises or scratches.

"No, aren't you mad at us?" Lilly sniffled as she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Mad? Oh, no sweetie of course not! He'll dry and no one was hurt. That's all that matters. You guys were just having fun. Besides, Simba likes the water." Aaliyah kneeled down and opened her arms to both of them for a hug and both girls ran into her arms without hesitation.

"Dinner is ready! Come get it before Simba and Nala do! Or me!" Nate smiled as he got a plate and wiggled his eyebrows up and down playfully.

Shae giggled and ran over with Shad and Luke hot on her tail.

Everything seemed perfect.

___________

I lay in my bed. Yes, my very own bed and room. I haven't ever had my own bed, let alone room.

I turn over and glance around the plain room. Aaliyah and Nate said we could decorate it next week, if we decided we wanted to let them be apart of our family.

Funny thing is, I already felt like we we're already a family.