Prologue

This feeling is my favorite in the entire world: the satisfaction that comes with completely deceiving a person. It sends shivers of excitement down my spine; makes me want to burst out laughing like some mentally deranged person. The normally worrisome questions in my head like, when will they find out the truth? or What little detail have I forgotten that they'll notice? only enhance the feeling of elation. The hints of doubt in my mind make it feel more like a game; like I'm confident in my ability to win, but not so confident that I will completely rule out the possibility that I might lose.

As of now I'm undoubtedly winning in this little game of deception. She walks alongside me with not the slightest idea that I am one of the enemy. It makes me feel so powerful. I've never felt that before. I grew up around people who always told me how useless and weak I was. I was constantly gripped by a feeling of helplessness. But that's why I'm doing this: to prove them wrong.

I'm forced out of my thoughts as she suddenly stops in front of me and I bump into her. The ever famed Cammie Scar turns to look at me, her blue eyes, known to fluctuate in shade alongside her level of hostility, glowing a bright electric color. A moment ago they had been darker. A feeling of euphoric anxiety grips my throat like a strong hand. She's suspicious... I smile inwardly.

"Keon," she speaks the name of the person whom I've cleverly disguised myself as, "why did you go back to working for IGR? After all they did to you... why didn't you try to come back to us?" She's testing me. I don't have her completely fooled. I don't have that advantage... yet.

I've prepared myself for every question the people here might ask me. I've spent days doing research on this person whom I choose to mimic. Keon was a timid boy, about fifteen years old at the time of his death. He was scarred mentally and physically as a result of constant major testing. He was skittish and impulsive and far too gentle to be an efficient soldier for IGR. He left the lab shortly after Jem and James, inspired by the two traitors. He joined with Cammie and the resistance and worked alongside Cammie to defend the escaped projects up until the day he was captured and killed. But the basics of his life are common knowledge. The little details, however, only he and I are aware of. Little things like conversations he had with people, or activities he secretly enjoyed. I could see these things in his memories. Besides the ability to change my form to look like anyone, I can also view people's cinematic records. Dead or alive, it doesn't really matter. By simply touching Keon's dead body I was able to see all of his memories. The boy had a sad, pathetic life, I'll admit, but I've seen worse. I've lived worse.

I look at Cammie and speak in the shrill, shaky voice that accompanies my stolen body. "I... I didn't have a choice... after they healed me they locked me up... they told me that if I worked for them... then... they'd set me free and I'd be able to go back to you guys..."

"But why didn't you try to escape? How come when they sent you on a mission you didn't turn invisible and find your way back to us? Why did you obey them, Keon?" Cammie persists.

"I-I don't know Cammie! I didn't wanna die again!" I raise my voice slightly, looking as if I'm about to burst into tears, hoping that will help convince her.

She stares at me with an unreadable expression and there's a moment of tense silence before she nods slowly. "Okay. I understand. Calm down, Keon." Her hand brushes my shoulder in a comforting gesture before falling back to her side.

I inwardly breathe a sigh of relief as she turns around and continues down the hall. I follow slowly behind her, trudging my feet. While she isn't looking I smile to myself. She believes me now. I've got her completely fooled! I think.

Cammie leads me through the lab, navigating the halls with a certain expertise. I have no idea where she's taking me. To a room maybe? I can't help but think to myself, That'll be so nice to have a room all to myself. I've never had that before! Back at IGR I was crammed into a room with four other projects. All of them annoying and rude with major superiority complexes. They all thought they were so much better than me; all that and a bag of chips. But I was going to prove them wrong. No. I AM proving them wrong. Right now I am. They never could have made it as far as I've gotten!