Chapter 4: Innocent Trouble

Hermione, making her way down to the Great Hall for breakfast, was thinking of the delicious food awaiting her at the Gryffindor table. "Toast or pancakes?" She wondered. "Orange juice or tea?"

It was Friday, and the corridors were bustling with students either fetching forgotten books for class or hoping to grab a bite before the start of class. At the door, Hermione met Neville and they both made their way to the Gryffindor table. Harry, reading the Daily Prophet, sat next to Ron, who was intently enjoying his breakfast. Neither of her best friends seemed to notice her presence.

"Good morning." She greeted, after a few seconds.

Harry immediately raised his eyes and tossed his newspaper to the side. "Hello, Hermione." He smiled. He saw Neville standing next to her, and nodded, "Neville."

"Morning Harry. Sleep well?" He asked.

"I can't complain." Replied Harry.

Ron took his turn to greet his friends, and continued eating his breakfast.

Hermione, after helping herself to some pancakes and orange juice, spoke to her two best friend. "McGonagall had a meeting this morning. And, well I think we're going to have a fantastic eighth year. There's a Halloween Ball, and a Christmas lunch, that the heads have to plan, as well as a four week trip to a muggle city of your choice." Hermione was excited. Harry and Ron could both see that. They let her be happy, after all, it was a long time that anyone would be in peace. The war took its toll on everyone, but was the hardest on the Golden Trio (as people started calling the three of them.)

After breakfast, the Gryffindors had Herbology with the Huffelpuffs, then Defence Against the Dark Arts with the Slytherins. Professor Snape took that class. Hermione was paying attention to what her Professor was saying, when she felt something light hit her back. Then again... Slowly she turned around to glare at the person who was disturbing her note-taking when her eyes landed on a pair of grey eyes. Malfoy was throwing pieces of parchment at her back to get her attention. She narrowed her brown eyes and sneered at Malfoy, who shrugged his shoulders in a care-free manner and looked away. She turned back around to resume her note-taking when she met the Professor standing in front of her desk. The whole class was quiet.

"Miss Granger, what are you doing in my class? Do you really think you're beyond copying down notes and paying attention in my class?"

Hermione was speechless. She knowingly hadn't done anything wrong. "Professor...Uhh.. I'm sorry Sir.. Its just that Malfoy.. Um.." She babbled, lost for words to make a coherent sentence that would spare her. But it was Snape. And her never spared anyone.

"Detention Miss Granger! Tomorrow. 8pm." Snapped Sanpe. "And that goes for you too Mister Malfoy.".