[2] Killing the Dog

Start from the beginning

"Silence!" A torch came flickering our way, with one last look at the bearded man I stretched out mah legs just in time to make tha silver fish trip. The torch fell with a thud to the soiled wooden floor and went out with a hiss in a puddle of piss. A crunching sound was heard, mah eyes burned from the previous stinging light of the torch forcing me to close my eyes once again. A jingling noise was heard as whispers spread throughout the ships underbelly. "I got them. I got them!" An excited whisper spread. Slowly I peeked through mah eyelashes. I thin figure with curly hair stood tall leaning against a wooden beam.

"Release us." Tha Bearded man groaned. I groaned in agreement. "He practically a dead man and so are ye, ye both would drag mah down." "Ye bastard!" The bearded man yelled. "I wont deny, but aye a smart bastard I am. Tha silver fish will not care abut a small fish escaping. A big one like Isherwood however." "I'll give ya anything ya wish for, gold, rubies, diamonds." I hissed out. The curly boy shook his head. "I value mah life more." The jingling sound of keys disappeared out in the darkness. "Ya dog! Scoundrel! Ye mom was a dog lovin bitch!" Jonjon yelled out. "No use." I heaved out. "Thee will find tha bloodly body at our feet and we will all be hung." "Curse him". I rested my head against the wooden support beam. "Can't blame him, he a smart bastard. Unfortunately." "Just our feckin luck." Jonjon mumbled a few men surrounding us mumbled in agreement.

Jonjon was the boatswain of the Siren under the command of captain Najib a member of Maleecs fleet. The largest fleet to roam the seas. I had known him by face for the past two summers and it had just been our rotten luck to reside at the The Hooked Fish at that unlucky date. "Ye scoundrels wanna hear a funny story?" A croaking voice in the darkness asked. Jonjon merely grunted in response. "I hear tha fuckers are still searching for their lost prince. Apparently tha general of this ship has been given tha command not to return to land until he has found a clue abut tha lost heir." Another voice in the darkness snorted. "Ain't a chance tha kid still alive." "Na" The croaking voice responded. "I've heard rumors tho, them rumors might help us." Jonjon laughed. "In return for what?" "That gold ya promised Isherwood, how much ye got?" Silence surrounded us. "Feck off." I responded.

Laughter surrounded me in the darkness putting a satisfied smile on ma face. "Stop ya cackling you disgusting pieces of shits. Up!" A force pulled at ma chains and the rattling noise of chains being unhooked sounded through the ships underbelly. "What about tha dead men, sir?" "Let them drag them with them." The gruff voice responded. I squinted my eyes gazing at the flickering globes of light of the lanterns and taunting flames of the torches held up in the darkness, my row was slowly being pulled towards them. I grunted as I stumbled falling on the corpse that was dragged in front of me. "Pull him up!" A torch was suddenly shining in front of my eyes and quickly I closed them turning away. Afraid of my face being burned I attempted to escape tha burning torch. "Isherwood." The voice sounded in disgust. "The only one." I responded smartly earning me a shove. "Tie him up with tha other five that were sitting around Benny's body." "Yes sir." I was painstakingly pulled from my chained row and tied up in a shorter row with Jonjon and the other men that had surrounded us.

I hadn't bothered learning their names, we were all dead men either way. I made myself smaller as we reached the deck, the sun was setting but still the weak sun rays stung my poor eyes. How long had we been down there? I wondered again. Silver fish were gathered on the large deck, clothed in their marine apparel. White coats and grey woollen pants surrounded us. Silver epaulets adorned bony, stocky and broad shoulders. The sun reflected on their silvery buttons blinding me as I attempted to appraise my surroundings. I gritted my teeth as I looked at the soldier to my left who was holding my chains my eyes were slowly adjusting to the sunlight and I could make out the falcon symbol on his small silvery buttons. Damn them to the end of the world. I stocky man with golden buttons stepped forward from behind us. "Bring tha lad out." A tall lanky lad with curly hair was brought forward through the crowd. He appeared no different from us, filthy, hollow cheekbones, poking ribs and empty eyes.