[1] The Hooked Fish

Waves sloshed gently against the bow of our ship as she sailed gracefully into the rotting and smelly Harbour of Crescent Gull Island. The Grey peaks of the rocky island had already met us in the distance clouded in shallow rain, the island was practically bare of vegetation except for the few patches of tawny yellow grass growing between the cracks.

The island was regarded as one of "The Useless Isles", to small and insignificant to be paid attention to by rich merchants or navy convoys, it had therefore after its discovery been left to rot together with the small community settled. Instead the large merchant ships and navy warships set for other nearby isles such as Clam Isle, Golden Point and Queen Akua. This however presented us with the business opportunity of trade with the small settlement present. Seawater sprayed across the deck as the wind picked up. Calico Ed, our boatswain was calling out orders preparing for Patience to be anchored. Green algae grown rocks with small bright snails and shells greeted us at the docks. Dead fish floated near the sea walls spreading a pungent smell.

"Smells of home ain't it?" Larry said with a fond smile on his face as he joined me at the bow while scratching under his armpit. "Ay so it does." "Wager I will win back that wig I last lost." I chuckled. "I'll bet on that." "2 copper pieces" "One" I answered. "Ya wig ain't more worth than that". He shrugged. "It's a damn fine wig, not a mutt's hair you know." I shrugged. "You drive a hard bargain, but a bet it is." I grinned, "Make sure to lose." He snorted. "Ya don't need to tell me that with my luck".

Smiling I regarded the ships docked. Several simple fisherman boats aligned the small bay and except for our Patience, four other 2-masted ships were docked. I grinned as I spotted The Bonetta with its red imposing masts.

Looks like Sammy is in town. "Ango!" I called. "Aye sir!" "Make sure to sweep the deck it's your turn tonight". A groan was heard in the background joined with the others laughter.

With a shrug I made my way to the Captain's cabin. Knocking on the small wooden cabin door, I waited for a response. "Aye".

Entering I regarded our Captain Arthur Wright sitting on his bed as he attempted to strap on his black knee height leather boots. Commonly the Captain walked the ship barefoot. He didn't spend hard earned income on extravagant attire such as other captains might instead he dressed in black cotton pants that were stained with saltwater, had a bare upper chest with only a leather sheep vest to keep him warm and a pendant with a rough inlaid stone. During our long voyage he had grown a beard once again which hid the scar near his mouth.

He had tied his long blond hair in a braid with a black ribbon. The only distinct accessories that marked him our Captain were his silver piercings in the ears and eyebrow.

Arthur squinted at me with his one eye. His other empty eye socket was covered with what once had been a white rag. The story is told that he lost it while falling asleep on deck and a hungry seagull had gauche out his eyeball. Of course that is not the story spread by rumour. "Blimey! Aren't you looking extravagant?"

I looked down on my attire. I was wearing purple breeches with buckle boots. The ornate buckles where made of ivory and had an intricate design of leaves. I had a simple white shirt with puffed sleeves and wore an excessive amount of jewellery. Every finger adorned at least one ring and several bracelets of gold and bronze scrambled as I moved my arms. My hair that I kept short was slicked backwards with water and a navy blue sachet covered my weapons. Opposite to our Captain I liked to spend my earnings on appearance.

"Are you going to crack's Jenny tea cup?" Arthur said as he fastened his last boot. "Aye, care to join?" Arthur laughed "Afua will have my dirk. Ye enjoy, send her my love." I grinned and with a wave was out of the ships underbelly.