Chapter 23

Hong hui saddled up a horse early the next day to head to the city to tell them that the Xue xian is safe and in their home, requesting an escort for her to return to the capital.

"Hurry back, Hong hui." The old woman hovered worriedly by his side.

"I will, mother. You shouldn't worry too much about Long Yin and Hai Lin now that Xin er is here."

"That is the very reason why I'm telling you to hurry. Having Xin er is like throwing crows into a field. She hasn't changed."

"Is she causing trouble already?"

"She still has quite the appetite." She chuckled, and gently slapped the side of the horse. "Hurry off. The country needs your sister."

"I'll be back by tomorrow. Good bye!"

Xue hua helped the old woman back into the house, where Jin Qing was dressed in simple robes that allowed her to move around easily, taking off all of her jewelry and hairpins.

Jin Qing was cleaning the house with a broom, something the maids would have done back at home
.

"Should I help?" Xue hua asked.

"No. Xue hua, you don't need to." Jin Qing grinned "just help take care of mother, will you? Take the gloves on the counter, it'll help protect your hands."

"But what about you?!"

Jin Qing laughed "dont worry about me. Put them on, I don't want your hands to become rough like mine."

"Xin er! Fetch me a bucket!" Long yin shouted from the garden.

"Get it yourself!" Jin Qing shouted back with a smile.

"I can't! I'm stuck!"

Jin Qing put down her broom and stepped outside, her hands on her hips "and standing in the middle of the garden makes you stuck?"

"Yes."

Jin Qing held out a bucket, and set it down by the door. "Come and get it if you want to finish your chores~"

"Xin er!"

"Long yin!" Jin Qing teased.

Jin Qing picked up a basket and looked up at Xue hua "you want to take a walk in the forest? We won't go too far, pick some herbs while we're at it."

"Of course." Xue hua smiled "would your mother be alright?"

"Oh I'll be fine!" The woman smiled "go on! I won't disturb your time together."

Jin Qing held Xue hua's hand. "Come on! Let's go!"

"Ah-! Wait!"

Jin qing knew her sister wasn't used to her being this carefree. But her environment caused her to be this way. She grew up here, so many fond memories, carefree nights and days full of laughter. Here, she was just a normal person, not the Xue Xian.

They walked around, Xue hua following Jin qing closely, watching her pick flowers and wild herbs.

"Have you always been so cheerful?"

Jin qing laughed, her dark eyes twinkling. "Well, I can't act like this in the palace, can I?"

"But for eight years you had to act- you had to pretend-"

"Well, if I was alone I would let loose a little, my maids can vouch for that." She smiled.

"But- Ive never would have guessed."

"Of course not. I didn't want anyone to. Do you really think the first wife and Huan le would let me live it down if I acted like this at home?"

Xue hua shook her head. They would never stop poking fun at Jin Qing if she did, humiliating her for her unlady like actions.