The Finale (Part 1: Prelude)

If Jin qing could be selfish and wish for one thing, it was to give herself and the soldiers one last look at the capital during the Lunar New Year festival before they headed out to battle. Swords have no eyes or hearts on the battlefield; everyone knew this could be the last time they saw home. 

Despite the war, Jin qing did her best to bring out the festive spirit. She opened one more food reserve warehouse and increased household rations for the families in the capital. No one will ever feel full during war's strict rationing, but the citizens would at least go to bed on the eve of New Year's day satisfied from their hunger. 

Even the palace has let loose a little bit from Jin qing's strict reforms. Wicks made from braided straw dipped in Animal fat replaced candles for lanterns, and red flowers-- fresh or dried-- decorated the palace with a flair that couldn't be achieved with regular strips of paper. Bells and sticks against layered paper screens may be able to replace firecrackers, but the sound of people laughing could not be replicated. 

So Jin qing listened fondly. She listened to the people in the city laugh and sing as they enjoyed themselves for what could possibly be the last New Year's festival of their lives, and smiled. 

"Happy New Year, sister!"

Jin qing snatched Xiao Wen up from the ground and tossed him around, letting him erupt into giggles as his feet lifted up and trailed behind him as they spun together. His festive clothes weren't new, as it was made from the silks of some of Jin Qing's old clothes, but he looked rosy enough that anything would look good on him. 

"Happy New Year, Xiao Wen!" Jin qing repeated the phrase back. "It's still so early in the morning! Did you skip greeting the old man and woman to first greet me?"

"Maybe~"

"Yes, he did." Nian Zhen walked up behind him, a little out of breath from running to catch up with her energetic little brother. "Please don't run off like that-- You gave me such a fright when. I turned around and you weren't there..." 

Jin qing set the boy down so he could run behind his older sister. "You've only entered the palace for a few weeks-- it's very easy to get lost in here without a guide. Where are Bai Yan and Ye Bing? I thought I told them to babysit you if they weren't helping me with work."

It was Nian Zhen's turn to look mischievous. "They were making New Year's breakfast when Xiao Wen ran into the kitchen to steal candy. I chased him, of course, because I'm older and more responsible--"

"You took some of his candy too, didn't you?"

"... Maybe."

Jin qing burst out into laughter. It felt good to laugh. "Don't put all the blame onto your little brother! What kind of older sister are you?" 

"I am a great older sister!"

She rolled her eyes. "Sure you are. I still have a little bit of time left before I head to the military grounds.  You mustn't have eaten breakfast yet-- would you like to eat with me before I leave?"

Xiao Wen grabbed her hand and his sister's hand in the other. "You're leaving?"

"Yes, Xiao Wen. We have a war to win!"

"... And then you'll leave for good when you win right?" Nian Zhen whispered softly. Jin qing was about to ask where she heard that from, but Nian Zhen beat her to it. "Sister Bai Yan and Ye Bing told us already. Maybe that's why Xiao Wen ran to you first."

Jin qing looked down at Xiao wen, who looked back up at her with his big, round eyes. She smoothed his hair, twirling at the stray ends with her finger. "Will you be sad if I leave, Xiao Wen?" He nodded his head enthusiastically. "Don't be sad," she said softly. "It's not like you won't have anyone to rely on after I'm gone. You still have the elderly couple to take care of you-- and I'm sure my brothers will be able to support everyone even without special treatment."