A Late Night Visitation

Comenzar desde el principio

The younger boy frowned thoughtfully. Then, "Hii lu ton."

It still didn't make sense, but at least it didn't make sense because it was a foreign word, not because it was a string of nonsense. "Heeltan?"

"Close. It's a hotel, back where I came from. Very expensive."

"And flower language?"

"Eeenguleesh."

Shun repeated the word. "From here on, if I look at you strangely, sound the word out for me. I'd rather not break my brain on your chopped up language."

Fake Shirong inclined his head. Turned his attention to the beds. "So, should we ask for a third bed for Mo Qingshe? Or shall I sleep on the floor."

The floor was covered in a soft carpet of a sort that made it difficult to walk. Anyone could sleep there comfortably enough. However, "You can share my bed... why are you blushing?"

Fake Shirong turned away, going to the window and opening it so he could gaze out into the courtyard below. "I... ah... you know how men and women shouldn't touch?"

"Do not even try to tell me you were a woman in that other life, Shirong Shidi. I'll know you're lying because you would have mentioned it a long time ago."

Fake Shirong's shoulders shook as he struggled not to laugh. "No. No, this Shidi wouldn't dare. But... this Shidi is...." he faltered.

"Another of those words?"

"Yes." Fake Shirong sighed. "Remember what Young Master Liang asked you, back at the arena? If you had something against 'doubling up'?"

Doubling up was slang for someone who loved their own sex better than the opposite. Liang Ren had offered simply to put him off his game, same-sex lovers being uncommon and a little looked down on. Shun said as much, adding, "What does that have to do with anything?"

It was Mo Qingshe who clarified, giggling as she watched them from the bed she'd obviously chosen for herself. "You may or may not be a doubler, nephew, but it seems our little Chosen One here is. And he likes you."

Shun blinked. Thought about it. Thought a bit harder and finally said, "You're my Shidi and you're not an adult. I'll go ask for a third bed."

#

Sleep came with difficulty. The unfamiliar and overly elegant surroundings bothered Shun. Their reason for being where they were worried at him. As for the sudden realization of why fake Shirong was so adamant about sharing his fate? Well, he wasn't sure how he felt about it.

Shun hadn't ever bothered thinking about romance. Half-demons like himself had no business hoping for any sort of relationship beyond friendship. Besides, he'd been so focused on training his power that he'd paid little attention to the eternal courting dance that surrounded him.

Even if he'd kept his thoughts away from such matters, he still felt oddly heartened. Knowing someone liked him that way was unexpectedly good for his morale. When that someone was the one who was prophesized to be his enemy it made him feel oddly smug. It'd never occurred to him that he could be liked for who he was, despite being - probably - the next King of Demons.

The idea of being liked that way set other interesting thoughts in his head. Ones he was going to have to shove straight back down where they'd come from. Shun had only just turned twenty, the official age of adulthood. Fake Shirong was barely nineteen; too young to court, at least by Leifeng sect standards. Not to mention neither of them had achieved a proper core. Until they did, distracting each other with romance was risky. Dual cultivation just wasn't safe yet.