Chapter 28

I, Kim Jennie, am really inlove.

Yea, you heard me right. I am inlove… for real. And to tell you, it wasn’t because of anything inanimate, not because of any kiss we shared, not because of the electricity that flowed in my body but because I just felt being inlove—like love.

But of course, not everything ended in that place, with that confession. It was just the glimpse of what was about to happen, just a part of the whole scene. I believe I realized these things when school started again.

It had been three days since the night and everything was back to how it used to be.  As in everything. Eyes were all on me as I walked through the corridor. I believe I was the topic of every conversation because of what happened—My so-so sweet relationship with Mino was over, I kissed an unknown person who was really Jisoo, and I confessed my oh-so-love for Jisoo.

A group of girls passed me and one spoke. “I can’t believe she fooled Mino. Oh well I can now grab him.”  They chuckled. I looked at them but they just swayed their butts away.

I really made a scene that night.

“I knew it; she was still the old-Jennie we all recognize. A slut.”  Those were the last words I heard before walking in the cafeteria. The words dug deep in my heart like an insult.

Tears fell from my eyes as those words repeated in my mind. Before I was able to walk on, someone spoke.

“She is not a slut.” I looked back to see the person.  “Because I don’t love sluts.”

He was Mino.

I wanted to cry more at the sight of him. Puffy eyes, crumpled shirt, baggy pants.  He looked almost homeless.

“But she fooled you Mino. Are you stupid?”  People stopped for a while to look at us.

“Yes I am. I am stupid for doing a thing that made me love her more than I intended.”  The girl just stared at him and walked away.

I sniffed and wiped my tears. Mino looked at me and gave a smile. “Hello.”  I just gave him a weak smile. He held my left hand and said, “Starbucks?”

Starbucks didn’t have many customers that time. We both ordered a Venti Java Chip Frappuccino, my all time favorite. On top of the coldness inside Starbucks, I was nervous about what would Mino tell me. After what he had said to the girl, there was only one thing that was occupying my mind. He wanted to get me back.

He took a sip of his drink. “I don’t want to make this conversation long Jennie. I only want one thing.” I bit my lip. There was something in his eyes that I couldn’t understand. “I want to say sorry for everything.”

“What do you mean sorry?”

“I mean sorry. Sorry for doing this thing. I am not Mr. Football Player.”  I loosened the grip to my cup. “I… I took his identity. I took his identity because I love you.”

I was speechless. “It all started when he came to your house without helmet. I saw him hug you and I saw his face. I heard everything that he said. And above all, I knew who he was.”

Every little detail made sense to my memory. What he said only meant that…

“He is Jisoo.”

Oh my goodness.  All of a sudden, my body became numb. Series of realization fell upon my mind. Mr. Football Player—the person whom I met before, the person who mysteriously courted me, the person who played his football games for me, the person who said he loved me, the person who didn’t reveal his identity… was after all, Jisoo.

“I am sorry. I only did that because I love you.” His face fell. “But I know that you love Jisoo now.” I blushed.

“I am sorry too for hurting you. I know I hurt you at some point.”

“I will move on Jennie. I will, for you. Friends?”

“Yea, sure.”  I gave him a hug and bid goodbye.

I still had questions running inside my mind. But at least, one question was solved. I decided to call Jisoo to make things clearer.

His phone rang. “Hello?”  His voice was groggy and he probably just woke up from a nap. “Hello, anyone there?”  He paused and said, “Oh that is you Jennie.”

My heart was pounding fast. Really, I was speechless. My mind was like—gone.

“YEAH, it’s me.”

“Missed me eh?”  He chuckled. The arrogant guy was back.

“No. Of course not.”  I defensively said.

“Want me to pick you up?” 

“Oh no. I don’t want to be of disturbance.”

“Then why did you call?”  I believe there was a smirk plastered on his face. “C’mon admit it. You missed your Jisoo.”

My Jisoo?

”Shut up.” He laughed. I hung up. He called again.

“Hey, why are you so mad?”

“I am not mad. You are just so annoying.”  Then the conversation went on and we ended up meeting in a mall.

I saw him walk towards me with a smile on his face. I smiled at him. When he was four feet way, he widely opened his arms. “Why don’t you give me a hug?”

I stared blankly. “Duh.”

“You are so boring.”

“Yeah I am. Get used to it.”

We started walking and then, he got my hand and showed it to me. “Your hand is small.”  I pulled it from him.

“So what?”

“My gosh Jennie, what about mood swings? Come on smile cupcake.” He stopped in front of me. “I know you’re gonna smile cupcake.”  He teased. “Just one big smile, cupcake. Like this.” he smiled.

There, I smiled. “You look prettier when smiling. Anyway…”  He got my hand again. “Your hand is small.”  He showed his hand. “My hand is bigger, see?”  I nodded. Then he clasped his hand to mine. “They look better when together right? Cause my hand complements yours...”  He smiled. “Like us. We go together well.”

With that, I really smiled. It’s not strange for me to smile when I’m with him. It’s like natural smiling.

In the midst of our walking, I decided to open up. “I have a question Jisoo”

“Fire away.”

“Why did you hide your identity?”

He stared at me—he was shocked. “What is that question?”

“You are Mr. Football Player right?” 

It took him seconds before answering. “Yes. I am him.”

“Then why hide your identity if you can just show it? Like this.” I pointed out.

“Everything happens in the right time.”  There he went again. The mysterious guy.

His phone rang. “Wait a sec.”  He moved away and talked on the phone.

He got back with a worried face. “Let us go.”  He almost pulled me.

“Where?”

“To the hospital. Nayeon is in the hospital.”