²⁰, A CIGARETTE PEACE OFFERING

Start from the beginning

  "Sirius—!"

  Her words were cut off rather abruptly. Sirius had kissed her with his entire being, a thing Madeline had never before experienced, being knocked against the hard walls of a closet in a heated moment.

  She was sure if it had been anyone else, Madeline would not have appreciated the harshness.

  But Sirius Black had a way of affecting her, making her thoughts go down the drain, her brain turn to nothing but mush, and her heart flutter harder than a hummingbird's wings.

  "Wait, Sirius," Madeline mumbled against his lips, her hands naturally falling to the crooks of his elbows, "Wait, wait."

  Sirius pulled away quickly, even in the poorly lit room Madeline could tell he was worried.

  "No, you're— don't," Madeline sighed, brushing her hair back. "I don't think I can keep sneaking around with you."

  "What?"

  "I can't risk James. . . hating me to be some girl you. . . snog in a closet."

  "Maddie," Sirius began quietly, "You know I. . . fancy you, right?"

  "I hope so, you've kissed me more than once."

  "I mean I. . . fancy you," He repeated almost awkwardly, "Mads, I haven't. . . I haven't wanted a girl the ways I want you— I mean, I just. . . I just want to be around you."

  Madeline's breath was caught in her throat, unable to see Sirius' expression clearly enough to gauge his mood.

  "I want to take you on a date and watch you study and kiss you— Maddie, I really want to kiss you."

  So she did the rational thing. 

  Madeline kissed Sirius the way he kissed her, the boy slightly taken aback by her eagerness. But then again, he wasn't complaining.

ϟ

  Remus Lupin and Lily Evans were waiting for Madeline Potter to explain. The three were sitting in the library, mulling through homework, and while Madeline didn't normally get much done, it was exceptionally bad that day.

  The brunette kept looking up, twisting her quill between her thumb and index finger as she scanned the library. Remus cocked an eyebrow as the girl flipped through an Astronomy book, not reading, just fingering through the pages.

  "Maddie—"

  She jumped, the front cover of the book creating a rather loud thump as Madeline dropped it. Her head snapped to Lily, who was beyond worried at that point.

  "Are you okay?" The redhead questioned quietly, pushing her homework aside, "Is it Keeler—?"

  "No, no," Madeline waved off, readjusting her things, "I'm just thinking, s'all."

  "Thinking about. . ." Remus prompted, leaning forwards.

  "Why is quidditch the only sport played here?" Both Lily and Remus let out laughs, "I'm serious!"

  "Well, there's dueling club," Lily sighed after her laughter had calmed, "If that's a sport."

  "Gobstones."

  "Gobstones is a game, not a sport."

  "You've never played Gobstones with James."

  And while Remus and Lily debated whether Gobstones was a sport or not, Madeline sat back, fiddling with the corner of her book, because she had not been pondering the existence of sports at Hogwarts. She had been thinking of the boy that saved her days prior.