19 | How The Cookie Crumbles

Start from the beginning

   "Soon with its own Siri," Riley added. She looked almost too happy, but that might have been because convincing Tony to do something he didn't want to do happened about once in a blue moon.

   "I just want peace." Tony made a peace sign with his fingers. "Turns out, resentment is corrosive, and I hate it."

   "Me too," agreed Steve.

   "We got a shot at getting these stones, but I gotta tell you my priorities," Tony continued. "Bring back what we lost? I hope, yes. Keep what I got? I have to. At all costs. And... maybe not die trying will be nice."

   Steve nodded. "Sounds like a deal." He extended his hand, to which Tony silently shook. Then, Tony turned on his heel and opened up the trunk of his car to pull something out. Riley grinned at the sight of the shiny, new and improved Captain America shield. Tony offered it to Steve, but the man out of time hesitated. "Tony, I don't know..."

   "Why? He made it for you," Tony pointed out, forcing it into Steve's hands. "Plus, honestly, I have to get it out of the garage before Riley convinces Morgan to take it sledding."

   Steve fit his arm into the shield's inner straps, sighing. It was like nothing changed. "Thank you, Tony."

   Tony lightheartedly quipped, "Will you keep that a little quiet? Didn't bring one for the whole team." He faltered. "...We are getting the whole team, yeah?"

   Steve revealed, "We're working on that right now."

   Riley clasped her hands together. "Perfect! Now, I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready to go back in time to tell myself the answers on the homework I should've cheated on for Mr. P's class." Tony and Steve shot her matching fatherly glances, to which Riley dismissively laughed. "I'm kidding! I'm a genius, you know. Straight-A student, actually. Geez, old men are a tough crowd." She turned to the doors of the compound, pacing toward them. "Let's pick up the pace, ladies! We have a universe to save!"

   Riley didn't wait any longer for their responses. Instead, she marched into the HQ with an eager grin plastered onto her youthful face. She smiled, exuberantly greeting each person who looked her way. The gang was getting back together. The world was going to be saved. Riley walked with a pep in her step like she was on Cloud 9. At this moment in time, nothing could bring her—

   Riley stopped in her tracks. She had followed the sound of music into the kitchen, where she presumed her friends and fellow colleagues were. When she entered the room, nevertheless, her eyes landed on the back of a giant, green individual. Hearing her gasp, he turned to see her, revealing the Hulk's face. Riley wasn't an idiot. She knew exactly what she was meant to do next.

   "Shit!" Riley yelled, prepared to break out into a sprint.

   "Riley!" a loud voice gleefully greeted. Riley paused. That sounded a lot like Bruce Banner, but... that made no sense if the Hulk was standing right in front of her.

   Riley peered back, her eyes nearly popping out of her head. Bruce walked forward with a wide smile. The sight was unbelievable. Bruce and Hulk had combined into one entity. "What the... Bruce!?" Riley cried, her jaw agape. "Or... did Hulk develop an alter-ego? Is that even possible? An alter-ego developing an alter-ego?"

   Bruce leaned down, his giant hand patting her head. "Oh, Riley, I'd been meaning to see you!" he energetically greeted. She soundlessly stared at him in awe. "You look great! I can't believe you're alive!" Bruce pulled her into a hug, squeezing the life out of her as he swept her off of her feet.

   She squirmed in his grasp. "And I can't believe you're..."

   She had read some interesting things about Bruce and Hulk on that anonymous blogger's page, but she thought it was just clickbait. In all her years of knowing him, she never once thought he had a chance of controlling his Hulk-side. But her eyes weren't deceiving her. This was real life. Maybe it was time Riley threw away the idea of "impossible" forever.