11 | Fly On the Wall

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
xi. FLY ON THE WALL

╚══════════════════╝

  THERE ARE TWO KINDS of people inhabiting this extremely strange world

  THERE ARE TWO KINDS of people inhabiting this extremely strange world. Yes, all human beings are very diverse and special in their own ways, but when it comes down to it, there are only two types of individuals in the world. There are people who answer phone calls when the Caller I.D is Unknown, and there are people who send the caller straight to voicemail.

   Now, typically, just sending the caller straight to voicemail can actually end up saving a lot of time. It saves you from dealing with prank callers and salesmen who want to sell you something utterly useless. It saves time and allows you to go do something better with your time.

   However, when you're an agent, you find that answering those unknown calls is part of the job.

   Riley sat in the living room of her (well, Tony's) condo later that Tuesday evening. It was where she had been staying since Tony forced her to take on this ridiculous mission. Her homework was spread out across the table she sat at, a solid indicator that she didn't have time to be answering useless phone calls. She wasn't even sure why she picked up anyway — probably to procrastinate.

  "What's the best way to get to the train station?"

   Riley's eyes widened once she heard the voice coming from the other line. Surprised, she cleared her throat, quickly thinking of the secret code only she and a true agent would know. It was the only way to confirm that they were who they said they were, as well as confirm that they were in a safe location.

   "Well, you could walk, but it's about ten blocks."

  "That's fine, I could use the exercise."

   A big smile spread across Riley's face, her heart racing with excitement, as she squealed, "Auntie Nat!"

   A sigh was heard on the other line. "When are you gonna remember that I hate when you call me that? It makes me feel old..." trailed off Natasha Romanoff.

   "I've been waiting for you to call me back for months! Seriously, I thought you fell off the face of the planet. How is everyone? Tell them I miss them," Riley eagerly rambled.

   Natasha hummed in response to this. "Well, that was sort of the goal," pointed out Natasha. "Everyone's great, actually. Pietro's the only person that hasn't gotten on my nerves yet, funnily enough. You'd be surprised with how much free time you have while running away from the American law."