10 | Soul Searcher

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
x. SOUL SEARCHER

╚══════════════════╝

   SWEET DREAMS WERE DANGEROUS

   SWEET DREAMS WERE DANGEROUS. They were Riley Stark's kryptonite, and she knew it. She couldn't help it. Being blessed with a sweet dream rather than her usual nightmares was once in a blue moon. Therefore, after everything she'd been through, could you really blame Riley for thinking her afternoon with Peter Parker was just a lovely dream?

   Two days had passed since then, and surprisingly, not much had changed. Nothing had to, considering they'd been close friends for so long. All that really changed was the fact that they held hands and openly told each other, "I like you," without becoming complete nervous wrecks all over again.

   "I like you and all, Riles, but this is torture!"

   Riley's hand was intertwined with Peter's as she pulled him through the forest. The fragrance of dirt and flowers flooded their senses as the morning sun bathed them. "Uh-huh," Riley dismissed.

   Peter insisted, "I mean it! On Sunday mornings, people go to church. Instead, you're dragging me into the devil's lair. This is the worst first date ever."

   Riley offered the Queens native a cheeky smile. "Who said this was a date?"

   Peter faltered. "Uhh, well..."

   Riley nudged his side. "I'm kidding," she promised. "I think you're overreacting a little, though. We're just going to visit Roman! He's harmless. The worst he'll do is call you a creative insult!"  

   Scoffing, Peter reiterated, "I'm sorry, harmless? Were you not there when he kicked your ass?"

   Riley immediately stopped in her tracks, releasing her hand from Peter's to speak expressively. She scoffed. "He kicked my ass?" she echoed. "I think you might've hit your head!"

   "Well, I know you did," he teased, nudging her side playfully. Riley laughed at the diss as they continued down a dirt path. "Seriously though. Why can't Roman be a cool alien? Like E.T!"

   "Uh, Roman's cooler and prettier than E.T," Valor opposed. Before Peter could disagree, their conversation fell short as a small cabin was spotted in the near distance. "Promise me you'll be nice?"

   See, ever since Roman returned to Riley's life, she had this extreme urge to help him by having him befriend Riley's companions. This would further prepare him to assimilate back into society. Additionally, Riley felt guilty for blowing Peter off all week, so she figured that by forcing the two boys to become acquaintances, she was killing two birds with one stone. Riley was just hoping that they wouldn't take the stone and try to kill each other, instead...