As for you? Most of your time had been spent at the bar and Natasha hadn't even noticed.

"I heard a rumor that dating used to be an organic thing," the bartender mused, breaking you out of your reverie. He set your new drink in front of you. "You know, meeting someone, feeling a spark, going on a first date..."

You shook your head. "That's not how it works anymore. It's the digital era of dating. Now you've got to have a pristine profile complete with model-level selfies to gain anyone's attention, or come to shit like this in a basic bar and hope someone finds you tolerable."

He didn't seem offended by your little insult. "You're a part of that group, right? So why are you sitting over here instead of talking to your last date?"

Your brows furrowed a little. "You ask a lot of questions for a bartender. Is that normal?"

He gave you an amused look. "Just curious. These events cost money, right?"

"They do," you confirmed. "But the only reason I'm here is because my roommate paid. She caught me watching TV in my pajamas on a Friday night again and she wouldn't leave me alone until I agreed to go."

"Nice. So which one is she?" The bartender leaned over, arms resting on the bar top as his eyes scanned the crowd.

There was no point in hiding her. He would have spotted her eventually, anyways.

You reluctantly spun on your barstool and found her almost immediately. Her megawatt smile lit up the room; how could anyone possibly miss her in a crowd?

"There," you said, pointing. "Natasha, the beautiful redhead standing over in that corner." You glanced back at him to see him squinting that direction.

Surprisingly, he didn't seem to instantly drool over her like everyone else tends to. That confused you, since he wasn't unfortunate-looking himself.He would definitely be her type.

"So if she's your friend and she brought you here to help you, why has she not noticed you over here drinking all alone?"

The barstool squeaked as you turned back around. "Because this is what happens."

He stared at you blankly.

"She gets the attention," you explained, taking another sip. "I get the hangover."

Your nosy bartender didn't look convinced. "How do you figure that? Didn't you just have a few speed dates?"

"Yes, but they're in rotation, they had to come to my table. She literally had guys fighting to have more than three minutes with her."

He made a face but didn't say anything, so you continued.

"And I know because it's happened always. Every friend I've ever had has been more enticing than me, from high school all the way through college, where my roommate then was also a bombshell who turned heads everywhere she went. I'm so used to being invisible that it's second nature."

"Well...I'd say your name in a scolding tone, but you ripped your name tag off already." He shifted on his feet, crossing his arms over his chest. "It sounds to me like you're making excuses to protect yourself. When is the last time you put in any effort? Do you just brush everyone off? Do you even try?"

"Try?"

"Let yourself be open to the possibilities?"

The possibilities? What the hell was with this guy? Was he some kind of failed psych major? It took all your strength not to splash your drink in his face and leave. He was lucky you were trying to be nice.