Appendix D: The Kaleesh

Note: This article is intended to help those who are unfamiliar with Star Wars understand the canon

Note: This article is intended to help those who are unfamiliar with Star Wars understand the canon. This article comes from the Wookieepedia page "Kaleesh/Legends". It should be noted that there is contradictory information between pre-Clone War 2008 and post-Clone Wars 2008 (referring to the TV show). You may not see everything in this article exhibited in The Last Qymaili, since not all of it is relevant to the plot.

It should also be noted that I use the Canon appearance for the Kaleesh, and that physical descriptions listed in this article are no longer canon. Canon pictures of Qymaen as an example for the Kaleesh are in the margins. Top picture is from the Clone Wars episode "Lair of Grievous". Bottom picture is from the comic "Age of Republic: General Grievous".

Biology and Appearance

Kaleesh had reddish-brown scaly skin, four-clawed hands, and five-clawed feet. Each Kaleesh hand featured two opposable thumbs. Because of the thermal pits under their eyes, Kaleesh could see in the dark. Tusks protruded from their upper jaw, and shorter ones jutted from their chins. Kaleesh had large pointed ears and long nostrils that stretched close to their eyes. They had very keen olfactory sense and were able to produce pheromones. Most of their facial features were obscured behind the traditional masks they wore, and outsiders rarely saw Kaleesh unmasked. They were known to practice polygyny, a form of polygamy, where a male courts multiple wives. Grievous, a cyborg Kaleesh, had a digitigrade stance, but this does not appear to have been representative of the Kaleesh as a whole and may derive from his reconstruction based on a Krath war droid.

Society and Culture

The Kaleesh were a spiritual people, believing that those who performed great deeds in life became gods in death. Therefore, burial places were sacred to them. A large number of temples were devoted to their ancestor gods, the holiest of which was called Shrupak.

Abesmi, a great monolith of stone in the Jenuwaa Sea, was the place the Kaleesh believed the gods ascended to the heavens. Pilgrims took the perilous voyage to Abesmi to beseech the gods.[8][3]As of the New Republic era, the late General Grievous, former Kaleesh warrior Qymaen jai Sheelal, had joined his species' pantheon of religious deities.[3]

Their society was divided into numerous tribes, including the Lig, and the Kaleesh were known to take multiple wives and have many children. War was viewed as an essential and sacred practice, and the culture's large emphasis on honor was known to spur many acts of vengeance among the various tribes. However, when necessary, the tribes would put aside their differences and bond to fend off a common enemy. Typical Kaleesh weaponry included a Czerka Arms Outland rifle, a Lig sword, and a Shoni spear.[5]