Neither of us had training that day. I was thankful for that. My body had been achy from all the fighting. Ever since Jake had turned fifteen, Alpha Jackson had taken it upon himself to be our trainer during practices. He was rough, and most times, he was mean and brutal.

My mother had already warned me to not be telling anyone that I thought Alpha Jackson was mean. It didn’t look good that the future Beta was talking bad about her Alpha. I just sighed.

Who was I going to tell if I didn’t have any friends? The only people I could tell were Jake and Joel, and they knew exactly how their father was.

It didn’t stop with Alpha Jackson being strict. Too many times he’d made us run until we were throwing up. Once, it happened for a full week. I ended up with a high fever and my Wolf wouldn’t come out. I hadn’t been able to shift for an entire month after that. Alpha Jackson freaked out and thought that might happen to Jake and Joel too, and that’s the only reason he cooled off for a while.

Now, Alpha Jackson and my father had gotten the not so brilliant idea to partner up with Alpha Roderick. Alpha Roderick was a cool guy. I hadn’t met him yet, but Jake loved the guy. He was young—part of the new generation, as everyone called it. He had taken over the Alpha position for Highland two years before, he had met his mate, and things were perfect—allegedly.

The rumor around the pack was that Locus and Midnight Moon were picking a fight with Alpha Roderick. Since Alpha Jackson was such a kind-hearted soul—and didn’t at all care for everything Alpha Roderick promised for his help—he decided to support him.

The plan was for Jake and me to visit Midnight Moon for a couple of months. Everything had already been arranged with Alpha Benjamin. The visit was supposed to be purely educational. My father and Alpha Jackson had told Alpha Benjamin that they wanted to test our abilities of survival, and they also wanted us to introduce ourselves to all the packs—what with Jake being the future Alpha and me being the future Beta.

Midnight Moon was going to be our first stop. It was all a lie. Alpha Benjamin believed them. I wasn’t sure what kind of relationship Alpha Benjamin and Alpha Jackson had. All I knew was that what we were doing was wrong, and I felt bad.

I had shared my feeling with my father and Alpha Jackson. All they did was laugh it off, and reprimand me for being too emotional. It was not a good trait for a Beta—I had to get rid of it.

“You look constipated,” Jake told me.

I had been in the middle of packing. I had left it to the last minute. Jake, as always, had walked into my room unannounced. I had heard him the moment he stepped foot in my house, but I ignored him until I had to absolutely acknowledge him.

“Ha, you’re funny,” I retorted.

“I don’t know what’s got you so down. You hate it here,” Jake said, ignoring my previous comment.

“I do not,” I replied, turning to face him with a frown.

“Yeah, you do. I mean, I get it. Things suck, and my dad’s an asshole. That’s why I don’t know why you’re so upset. Taking this trip—it’ll give us a few months of freedom. We can get away from them for a while,” Jake said, sounding excited.

I hadn’t really thought about it from his point of view. But I still didn’t know if I agreed.

Staten Pack was all I knew. I had traveled, but there were always plenty of guards watching over me—not only keeping me safe, but away from all the fun. Now, they wanted me to go alone, on my own. Jake was going to be there, but he was so… independent. I pictured Jake ditching me as soon as we settled into Midnight Moon. Unlike him, I wasn’t really good at making friends.