Chapter Nine: Contact

The rest of Thursday was a blur, just like the three previous days. Damian didn't think his quote-unquote "normal life" was suffering because of his apparent and abhorrent fixation on the events surrounding the coffee shop, but none of that seemed to even matter. Or, not that it didn't matter, it just didn't make any sort of impression on him. He couldn't even recall the details of his days. They all just sort of blended together to make room for the details of the coffee shop.

He tried not to think about it.

He didn't have to try very hard.

It was Friday now. Friday meant this was the last chance they had to figure out anything meaningful before a two day break. And while a two day break was fine, Damian was far too impatient to wait that long.

He entered the shop with confidence this morning, making contact with the barista. "Good morning," he greeted in a tired morning voice.

Alexander smiled. "Good morning," his greeting was far more chipper.

Damian walked in, past the counter and toward the back hallway. He leaned against the wall and waited.

About a minute later, Alexander found his way back to meet him. "Hey, now you're getting the hang of it."

Damian rolled his eyes.

"What's the plan, Stan?" he crossed his arms over his apron.

"What's the plan?" Damian echoed.

He nodded. "I came up with the plan yesterday, now it's your day to figure out the plan."

Damian shrugged. "I don't know. A part of me just wants to do what we did yesterday except sit out there and see what happens. I have a feeling something is going to happen out here. I don't know what, but it's something, you know?"

Alexander gave another definitive nod. "Alright. I'm okay with that."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, cool." Damian walked back out to the storefront. He moved toward the table closest to the back and rearranged the chairs so they were facing the rest of the shop and seated right next to each other. He awkwardly sat down in the one.

Another second later, Alexander followed him into the café. Wordlessly, he took a seat next to Damian.

Damian opened his hand so his palm was face up and held it under the table between the two of them.

Alexander looked down, then back at Damian.

"What? I thought that's what you would have wanted. Or, I mean, uh. I didn't know if you wanted to wait 'til it started or if you thought it was better to do it right away. I mean, personally I don't think we really need to until it starts but, uh--"

Alexander smirked and took his hand. He gripped onto his palm, fingers unseparated.

They sat there quietly for a minute. No one seemed to take notice that the barista had left his post and was now chilling at one of the tables holding hands with some rando.

Damian maneuvered his hand until his fingers laced themselves between Alexander's.

The barista gave him a coy look.

"What?" Damian said under his breath. "I started thinking about what you said yesterday about interlocking so it's harder to get separated and then you got me all paranoid. Don't make it weird."

"Uh huh."

They sat there quietly for another minute.

Damian pulled out his phone and began checking it. There wasn't a lot to report on so early on in the morning. Still, the mindless scrolling served as a nice numbing agent while waiting for the inevitable quake to begin.