Skype Session 3

Abby's POV

I waited eagerly for my laptop to start ringing. Since the last time we talked, things seemed to get harder for me. I really needed to talk to him and to simply see him. I never thought these three months would be this miserable.

I double-checked my appearance in my webcam, wanting to look better than I was feeling. The longer that Caleb's been gone, the less sleep that I've had. And that was the last thing I wanted Caleb to see.

I bit my lip when my laptop finally started ringing. I didn't hesitate to answer the call.

"There's my girl," he cheered the second his fuzzy picture popped up.

"Hi, baby."

"Damn, I've missed you." He laughed as he looked at me, taking in my appearance. "Did you get more beautiful?"

"No," I laughed, a blush forming on my cheeks. "It's just, you've been around guys who don't shower regularly."

"And I haven't seen my beautiful fiancé in over three weeks. The only problem with this job is the distance."

"I know," I said, still trying to sound happy even though my voice dropped. My smile fell, unable to act like I was okay. "Distance sucks. No wonder we never did long distance before this."

"Baby?" He said, the smile on his face dropping slightly. "You doing any better? I know last time you were having run-ins with your dad and step-mom. Did something else happen?"

"Hannah barged over. After I kicked her out, I got a call from my dad. Basically, he said that if I kept acting like this then he wouldn't bless our marriage."

"Oh," Caleb said softly.

"Of course I told him that it was a little too late for that and that I would marry you with or without him there."

"Abby," he sighed.

"It's fine," I cut him off. "It's about time I stood up to him."

"But he's your dad, babe."

"I don't care," I said, my eyes watering. "He hasn't been acting like my dad since mom died. Now, you're my family. You are the only one that matters."

"And you are the only one that matters to me," he smiled at me. His smile faltered. "Abigail, how much sleep have you had since I left?"

I shrugged, not wanting to tell him the truth. I took a shaky breath as I tried to smile. "I'm fine."

The look on his face made it clear that he didn't believe me. "Abby, I know you. You have bags under your eyes that you tried to cover with makeup, your eyes are slightly red which is a side effect from the sleeping medication you only take when your insomnia acts up, and there is not one but three empty glasses on your bedside table meaning you have multiple glasses of wine before bed."

"Damn, nice deduction Sherlock Holmes." I tried to joke to hopefully lighten the mood. He chuckled a little before his smile fell.

"I wish I was there," he said, his voice soft and hesitant. "I wish I was there to help you through your insomnia. Then again, if I was there I doubt you would be suffering from insomnia."

"Caleb," I said, cutting him off. "You come home in a little over three weeks. We made it this far. I'll be fine."

"Will you?" It was his turn to cut me off. "Or are you just saying that because you think it's what I need to hear?"

Silence fell between the two of us. I felt his eyes on me as I looked down. He was right. Of course I was just saying what I thought he wanted to hear. If I told him the truth. . . His guilt would get worse and I didn't want that.