Chapter Nine: The Lunch Date

“When are you going to tell him about Una?” Marcus asked looking at Bailey as she prepared to meet Sergio for lunch, she had been talking non-stop to the footballer since their date.

Bailey was surprised how well she was getting along with Sergio and she had yet to tell him about her two month old daughter; she didn’t want to scare him away since she knew that it was a lot to ask.

“I don’t know,” Bailey said checking her outfit, she was wearing a yellow crepe top and white high waisted cropped twill trousers paired with nude slip on trainers for her lunch with Sergio.

Marcus frowned knowing that his friend was scared and he didn’t blame her, not a lot of men were interested in dating a woman with a baby.

“I know that I have to tell him but it isn’t something I can blurt out,” Bailey said running her fingers through her hair annoyed, she chewed on her lip as she looked at him as she sat down.

Bailey was going to have to leave soon and she had a feeling that she was going to be a little late; the red hair looked at Marcus knowing that he was going to talk her into telling the footballer that wasn’t even officially her boyfriend yet.

“I know this is all still new but he needs to know before he gets in too deep,” Marcus said knowing that his friend was scared, he wished that this was easier on her; but she was a single mother and there was no way that she would ever be able to deny that fact.

Bailey nodded her head as she took a shaky breath, she knew that Marcus was right and she would tell Sergio while they were on their second date.

It was the only way to ensure that she didn’t chicken out and not tell him at all, Marcus was right; Sergio deserved to know before it went too far.

***

Sergio smiled spotting Bailey at a table, he was surprised that she had beat him to the café and he could see that she looked a little nervous about something.

It had been a several days since his first date with Bailey and his birthday was only two days away, he wanted everything to be perfect before then.

“Hola,” Sergio said hurrying over to Bailey, he was excited to invite her to his match and he knew that he couldn’t wait to show her off a little.

The relationship was still very new and Sergio knew that it would take a little while before he was really settled into his new relationship after what had happened with Pilar.

“Hola,” Bailey said nervously as Sergio sat down, she swallowed as she watched him knowing that she needed to tell him about Una; however she wasn’t sure how to do it.

Sergio smiled as he watched Bailey, he knew that this was going to be a great weekend and he felt a little worried that she’d say no to the idea that he was about to put forward.

“I was wondering if you wanted to come to my match this weekend,” Sergio asked watching Bailey, he wanted her there and he knew it was a big ask but he hoped that she would say yes.

Bailey stared at him as her mind raced with what to say, she hadn’t been expecting this even though she knew that he was excited about what they had.

“Sergio I would love to but there’s something that I need to tell you first,” Bailey said staring at Sergio hoping that he wouldn’t be angry with her, she really liked him and he had given her hope even in the week that she had known him.

Sergio nodded his head as he smiled at Bailey, he was sure that there was nothing bad that she could say to him right now.

“I’m not sure how to say this,” Bailey said awkwardly sneaking a look at Una, who was in her green 3 in 1 pram and pushchair; she knew that she had to do this and she had a feeling that he was going to be upset.

Sergio offered Bailey a reassuring smile knowing that whatever it was it couldn’t be that bad, it wasn’t as if she was married or anything and he really liked her.

“You can tell me anything,” Sergio said as he took Bailey’s hand and gave it a squeeze as he smiled at her, he didn’t care what she wanted to tell him as long as she wasn’t some kind of gold-digger.

The woman on the table next to them stood and walked away making Sergio frown as he realised that she had left her pram behind with her child inside.

“Señorita, you forgot your baby,” Sergio called quickly calling after the woman, he frowned when she didn’t turn back wondering how she could just walk away like that.

Bailey sighed carefully reaching to pick Una up and sit her on her lap, she smiled weakly as Sergio turned back around knowing it was time to tell him. “

Sergio… this is my daughter, Una,” Bailey said cuddling the little girl close, she eyed the footballer warily knowing that she was going to have to explain what had happened between her and Una’s father.

***

“So he just dumped you and left her behind,” Sergio said disgusted as Bailey recounted what had happened with David, he felt his heart breaking for the little girl that no longer had a father in her life.

Bailey nodded her head shifting Una on her knee, she felt like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders now that she had told him even if she was nervous about what he would do now.

“I don’t know how he did it… I don’t think I could walk away from something so beautiful,” Sergio said smiling at Bailey, he couldn’t deny that Bailey and her daughter were beautiful and he knew that he wouldn’t be able to walk away now.

Sergio took a deep breath knowing that he was going to get himself into something that he shouldn’t, he just knew that he would regret it if he did.

“I still want you at my match Bailey… you and Una,” Sergio said smiling at Bailey, he didn’t care that she was a single mother and he could already feel himself growing attached to the little girl.

Una was an adorable and Sergio knew that he wouldn’t just find himself falling in love with Bailey as time went on but with Una as well.

“You still want to see me?” Bailey asked to be sure that she was getting this right, she had expected him to leave or at least tell her that he couldn’t handle the two month old.

Sergio nodded his head as he continued to smile at Bailey, he wasn’t going to throw away what they had just because she had a child; it seemed like a stupid reason to him.

“Of course,” Sergio said watching Bailey, he had this connection with her and he had a feeling that maybe this was fates way of making things up to him after what had happened with Pilar.

Una squealed excited as Sergio leant across the table and took her small chubby hand, he looked at Bailey as he did so knowing that David’s loss was his gain.

“May I hold her?” Sergio asked knowing that he couldn’t resist, Una was adorable and he wanted her in his arms; he loved his niece and hoped that one day soon he would have a little girl like that of his own.

Bailey nodded carefully handing her daughter over to Sergio, she still found it hard to believe that someone like him wanted someone like her.

Sergio grinned cuddling Una who beamed at being in his arms, he had a feeling that this was the best thing that could happen to him.