I Don't Care

Shortly after stopping to pick up the takeout, we pulled up to a fairly small, but very nice apartment building. It was about 6 floors, every apartment having a balcony and a perfect view of the city.

     "Damn," I said under my breath, parking the Jeep.

    Derek walked to my car, food in hand and smile on his face. "Ready?" I nodded in return, starting to follow him to the building. "Just a warning, I live on the sixth floor, and there isn't an elevator."

     "Oh joy." I said sarcastically, catching up to Derek and walking beside him.

     Five flights of stairs later, Derek dug his keys out of his pocket to unlock the door as I leaned against the wall, breathless. "Jesus no wonder you're in such good shape."

    He chuckled. "The stairs are a bitch to get up when you're drunk."

     "They're a bitch to get up sober." I joked as he laughed, pushing the door open.

     He motioned me inside. "Welcome to my humble abode."

    I smiled, walked in as he closed the door behind us. The loft apartment was a fairly big space, decorated with black furniture and curtains. "Cute place."

    He scoffed. "My place is very manly thank you very much."

     I rolled my eyes. "Whatever helps you sleep."

    I walked up to the black couch, sat in front of a 70 inch tv. "Holy shit dude."

     "What?"

    "Your TV is bigger than my bed."

    He laughed. "I like to watch movies."

    "It's like being in a theater." I sat down on the couch, sighing as it enclosed me in comfort. "Your place is really nice. The rent must be through the roof."

     "I don't pay rent here." He grabbed two plates from the cupboard. "My uncle owns the building so he lets me live here rent free, as long as he can use my apartment as a model for potential tenants."

     I nodded. "Fair deal."

    Derek sat down, placing the food in front of us. "Yeah I think so."

    Our movie idea went out the door, as we got to talking, and before we knew it two hours had passed. We had completely devoured the take out, and some ice cream he had stored in his freezer. So there we sat, talking about absolutely nothing in particular, just enjoying each other's company.

     "How'd you get into cooking?" He asked, turning his body to face me.

     "Well," I started. "After my mom died, my dad and I basically lived on fast food and pizza. Then one day he went to the doctor, and they told him he had to eat better or he would be at high risk for a heart attack. So I learned how to cook, since he was never home, and would have meals prepared when he got home. I've been in love with it ever since."

    His face fell. "I didn't know your mom died."

   I shrugged. "Not a lot of people do. I don't really parade around in a 'my mom died feel bad for me' t-shirt on."

    He chuckled. "I'm sorry. I know what it's like to lose someone, but I can never imagine losing my mom."

    "Who did you lose?"

    "My grandpa." He looked down at his hands. "That's why I'm so close to my nana. She says I remind her of him."

     "I'm sorry."

    "Don't be." He smiled. "We got Andy out of it, and that old bat can just about make anyone smile."

    I laughed. "Your grandma is so nice."

    "I'm sorry about her." He laughed. "She can be a little much sometimes."

    "I love her." I scoffed. "By far the best boss I've ever had."

     Derek laughed. "She knew I was gay before I did."

    "Yeah, I heard about that." I chuckled. "She asked me my first day."

     Derek's face turned beet red. "I am so sorry about her."

     "Don't be!" I smiled. "She's awesome."

     "Yeah." Derek shrugged. "She always tells me that the one thing she wants most is for me to be happy."

    We looked at each other in silence. "Are you?"

    He nodded. "For the most part. I have a roof over my head, a job, a great family."

     I nodded, as we continued to look at each other. He was the first to break the gaze, looking down at his hands. "And this guy that I kind of like."

     I smirked. "Yeah?"

    He nodded. "You should see this guy, he's perfect."

    My heart dropped. It's not me.

     "I mean," Derek started. "He's tall, but not taller than me, just the perfect height for me to kiss him without having to bend down too far. He's got these little moles all over his face, and this stupid smile that I can never get out of my head."

     Holy shit.

    I scoffed. "He sounds amazing."

    Derek nodded. "And he can cook."

    We looked at each other, before Derek started to close the gap between us. I leaned forward, slowly but surely making my way to him. He gave me a look, as to say "is this okay?" And I returned with a nod. He closed the gap between our lips, my eyes fluttering shut as I gladly kissed him back. We pulled away for a second, looking into each other's eyes as I let out a chuckle.

    I pulled him in again, my hands going to rake in his raven hair as he maneuvered me onto his lap. I placed my legs on either side of his lap, and moaned as his hands wrapped around my waist.

    His lips traveled to my neck, and I let out a sigh. "We shouldn't be doing this."

    "I don't care." He connected our lips again, pulling me closer on his lap as my arms draped over his shoulders. He pulled away, looking at me and smirking. "Stay here tonight."

     "Okay."