16 | Sweet Dreams

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
xvi. SWEET DREAMS

╚══════════════════╝

"GEE, IT REALLY LOOKS like it's not gonna let up anytime soon

"GEE, IT REALLY LOOKS like it's not gonna let up anytime soon."

Riley gazed out a window with tiny plans lined up along the wooden sill. She folded her arms across her chest, witnessing as rain pitter-pattered opposite the glass and lightning flickered athwart the blackened skies. She glanced back over her shoulder, spotting Peter as he cynically attempted to get the television in his living room to start up again. The electricity had gone out in the midst of their movie marathon of the Star Wars films.

"I think we're gonna be stuck here for a while," she added, frowning. "How else am I supposed to find out if Luke Skywalker's mom screwed Darth Vader with the mask on or not?"

Peter peered up from where he had been toying with the television. "I can't even begin to explain how wrong that is," he stated. "Why would they do that with the mask on? That's weird."

Riley snickered at his reaction. "I dunno," she dismissed. "People are into some weird stuff."

Peter eyed her carefully. "I don't even wanna ask what you've seen," he half-joking, half-seriously replied, earning a hearty laugh from Riley.

The door to the Parker apartment swung open. May Parker stepped in, glasses sitting low on the bridge of her nose. "Looks like the entire block doesn't have power," May informed the two. "I think it'd be safer if you spent the night, Riley. I don't want you home alone with this storm raising hell."

"That's not a bad idea, actually," Peter agreed, pulling away from the television. "Maybe we can keep watching the other movies when the power comes back on."

Riley paused, glancing between the two. It wasn't like she hadn't spent the night before. She shrugged. "Sounds good to me," Riley replied. "I'll shoot my mom a text."

May clapped her hands together. "I'll grab some blankets!" she insisted, causing Riley to smile. She and May had really come a long way since they had first met. The first time they met, May was uncomfortable with leaving Peter alone with a girl. Now, sometimes she'd invite Riley over to hang out with her while Peter was out. Riley was grateful to have someone like May in her life.

As May walked out, Riley turned to Peter. "You up for some boardgames?" wondered Peter. "I've got Cards Against Humanity."