22

Jisung's POV

// 3 years later //

"Are you sure you want to come?" Minho asked worriedly as we stood with a large group of wolves in an overgrown forest. "You might get hurt."

"Are you joking? I can't miss a tradition like this!"

"Okay then..."

We were waiting for the commencement of the 5 year hunting tradition. Every 5 years the pack held an event where all wolves over the age of 18 that wanted to take part would move North to hunt large animals - these included bears, moose, alligators etc.

We had already set up our tents and Felix and Seungmin were huddled together a little further away from our group. They had agreed to stay and watch the camp as they didn't have the confidence to run with the wolves.

Chan was with BamBam while he did a head count to make sure we didn't lose anyone along the way.

"I'm so freaking excited." Hyunjin bounced on the balls of his feet. "I'm going to take down a large brown bear."

"You sure you can do that?" Minho teased. "This is our first time hunting after all, it might be a complete flop."

Hyunjin smirked. "Oh I'm confident I'll do better than you Min."

"Bring it Hyunjin." Minho punched his arm.

"Did you see that? Your mate is so violent." Hyunjin huffed at me and rubbed his arm.

"You taunted him." I shrugged.

Hyunjin pouted but moved his eyes to BamBam as he called for our attention.

"I counted 83 heads, and I expect to count 83 heads when you return. Everyone must be back by sundown, understand?"

"Yes!" we all chorused, mixed in with a few hoots of excitement.

"Show me what you've got wolves!" BamBam yelled and immediately everyone shifted into wolf form and howled before running off.

I stayed close behind Minho as he ran through the forest, his paws digging up dirt as his large wolf sniffed out the animals. He slowed down as we neared a clearing which had a large stream of water running down the middle.

"I can smell bears." Minho said as he crouched down low, his eyes scanning the area.

"I don't see any though."

"It's still early, they'll probably turn up in a few hours. I'm going to lie here and wait for them."

I looked around and found a tree that would be ideal to sit in. I easily climbed up the tree and sat watching Minho as he stayed perfectly still.

A few wolves decided to lie close by and wait for the bears to arrive. These were some of the more experienced wolves so they'd probably have come to this spot in the previous years.

An hour went by and suddenly Minho crawled forward slightly. I blinked my eyes several times to rid them of their tiredness and followed Minho's line of sight.

I could make out a large dark figure standing just outside the clearing, in the safety of the trees. This was a male brown bear and it was sniffing the air curiously at it took slow, careful steps towards the water.

We watched as it entered the water and dipped its head to drink. Minho's hackles raised as he stalked forward, his head low as he remained in the tall grass.

The bear finished drinking and sat down to groom itself, unaware of what was about to happen.

A few minutes passed before Minho launched his body out of the grass and ran full speed towards the bear. The startled bear stood up clumsily on its hind legs while letting out a loud roar.