Finding Mary

He exited his vehicle slowly and carefully, keeping his eyes at the gorgeous property in front of him. It was shaped perfectly perpendicular with clear white walls and a triangular black roof. Mason slowly approached the entrance with confidence. I know she is here, he thought as he reached for the doorknob. Before he gained the chance to knock, the door clicked and opened. A fine woman with short, golden hair met eyes with Mason's. She looked dressed for the occasion: a scarlet jacket, a violet skirt with floral patterns, and leather boots below her knee. The woman stared at Mason who was dressed in a dirty, fur jacket with a black shirt under it and torn jeans in the knee area. He pressed his brows in confusion, and she did the same, too. There was a brief silence between the two with the songs of wind passing by and the leaves scratching the road.

"Hi, and you are?" Her voice was soft, almost like hers.

"Hello, my name is Mason Rickson. I'm the former owner of this mansion, and I left something important here. I was wondering if I can come in and find my missing necklace."

"Was it the necklace with the skulls in it?"

"No, it was an emerald necklace that I gifted to my wife before we were engaged. After we moved elsewhere, I didn't realize I left her necklace back here. So I was wondering if I can come in and quickly leave after I retrieve it?"

His concerned voice worried the woman. "I'm sorry, sir. I don't remember seeing a necklace that you described, but you are welcome to come in and search for it."

She granted Mason access to the mansion. He remembered it all, the left hallway was the brightest with the guest bedrooms, closet, and the bathroom. The right hall was mostly storage and more bathrooms; however, the lights were dim to shine a path.

"How long have you two been married?" the woman asked.

"For almost two years," his voice trailed off. "You never gave me your name."

"My name is Maria."

Mason stared at the foyer briefly. Fond memories flashed into his sight, imagining a woman whose facial appearance was similar to Maria. He would always assist her walking through the hallways.

"Are you alright?" Maria patted him on the shoulder.

He forced a smile. "I'm fine. Coming back here brought memories of my wife."

Maria raised a brow. "Your wife? Where is she now?"

"She is sleeping at the moment. My wife, Mary, isn't in the best condition, so the best thing I want to do is bring her necklace."

Maria allowed him to search for his necklace. Mason turned his head from left to right before he chose the left hallway. Illusions flashed into his sight again. A sweet hum echoed these halls when he walked alongside Mary. No longer the owner of this house, Mason found himself alone in the hallway.

He frowned. His eyes closed. Suddenly, he perceived the sounds of someone crying. Mason was unaware there were others in his former home. A roommate of Maria, perhaps? No, the more he listened to it, he recognized that voice. The cry became more concerning as Mason could hear them puking.

"Mary?" He slowly approached the sound. The vomit grew louder. Mason reached the door. Upon opening, he saw no one in the bathroom; however, he could still hear her crying. He was certain there was someone behind the shower curtain. "Mary, are you alright?"

The crying faded away, and Mason extended his hand towards the curtain. He swiped them, only to see no one. An illusion?

Suddenly, the cry had returned—except Mason heard them behind him—this time, they were more ghoulish. He turned around to encounter a grotesque creature. Void of clothing, pale-skinned, it contained no eyes, mouth, nor ears; despite those features, the shape of this unearthly creature resembled that of a woman. It even moved in a seductive manner despite its unappealing appearance; additionally, it reeked in rotten flesh. It latched its feeble hand upon Mason. Confined in the small space, he retreated to the tub. Unbeknownst to him, the floor was slippery—and he found himself floating in the air. Darkness overwhelmed his vision until he heard a voice calling for him.