Chapter 28: Spring Awakening

Start from the beginning

After careful consideration, she stared at the small tube of powder that was hidden in her purse. She looked around, making sure the room was empty, but that wasn't enough. After running to lock the door, Bree pulled out the tube and stared at it some more, using all her stength not to open it. Angrily, she tossed it to the sink and looked up at her reflection in the mirror. She was just about to give in when her phone rang, pulling her away from her temptation and onto her old one.

"Hello?" she said, confused by the name on the caller ID.

"Hey..." Joe said on the other line, his voice muffled. "Bree, I just wanted to wish you the greatest luck. I know you're going to do an amazing job."

"Thank you," she said softly, struck by the fact that she hadn't spoken to him in weeks. "Umm, are you... Are you going to make it?"

He hesitated for a moment before saying, "No, Bree... I'm sorry, I can't... I really wanted to see you but it just isn't a good idea for me to go back... I know you'll do—"

She hung up on him before he could say anything else. After throwing the phone into the sink and taking the cocaine tube back, she opened it and spread what was inside on the sink counter. She took out her wallet and pulled a credit card and dollar bill from it. After separating the powder into two neat lines, she leaned in, one nostril pressed down, and snorted with the other. 

***

"Where's Bree?" Julie asked as she made sure everyone was where they were meant to be. "Sue?"

Sue was strolling by, making sure all costumes looked good, when Julie stopped her. "Who?" she said, having only heard her faintly.

"Bree?" Julie repeated. "She's not here and we're opening in less than ten minutes."

"I saw her in her costume," Amity said gently. "She was out in the hallway not five minutes ago."

"Can you go look for her?" Julie asked Sue.

Sue gave her a look. She was the only person who had ever given her an order without paying the cost. "Whatever," Sue shrugged, heading out towards the hallway. As she did this, she found it empty and began to check through the classrooms, which were also empty. It wasn't until she reached the restroom and found it to be locked, that her suspicion and caution rose. She beat the door and called out, "Bree, open up!"

Bree lifted her head from the sink, wiping her face clean and snorting up any remains. She stuffed what she could into her purse, not wanting to waste too much by draining it down the sink. After making sure she looked alright, she went to the door and opened it.

"Hi," she said to Sue. "I was just heading back to the—"

She tried to make her way past her old coach, but Sue wasn't playing any games. The woman pushed Bree back into the room and closed the door. "I knew it!" she exclaimed.

"What?" Bree said, confused.

"You're cut from the show," Sue said firmly. "Starting right now you don't step foot on that stage you got it?"

"Why?" Bree exclaimed angrily.

"Because you're doing drugs, Bree," Sue said. She didn't sound angry or sad. Just disappointed. 

"I'm not—" Bree began to argue.

Coach Sylvester stopped her, pulling her purse out of her hands and emptying it on the ground. Not only powder, but also a few pills, fell out of it along with it the rest of her belongings. "Do not lie to me," Sue said. "If there's one thing that's more disappointing than one of my Cheerios falling off the wagon, it's when they choose to hide it from me."