x. Feelings and Funerals

( Stranger Things, Season One )

The Flea and The Acrobat

Chapter Ten: Feelings and Funerals

"I'll s-s-see you tomorrow"

Eleven's head rested on Eva's lap. She hadn't said anything since they got back to the basement and she seemed exhausted from the entire day, which Eva didn't blame her for. It was long.

Mike, Dustin, Lucas and Via were discussing the events and what happened. Mike was doing most of the talking, "What was Will saying? Like home... Like home... But, dark?"

"And empty," Lucas added.

"Empty and cold..." Dustin sighed back in his chair, "wait, did he say cold?"

"Yeah," Lucas confirmed, "but the stupid radio kept going in and out,"

"it's like riddles in the dark," Dustin sighed again, leaning his head back in thought. Via looked a little awkward, she couldn't say much at all as she wasn't there.

"Like home... Like his house?" Mike suggested.

"Or maybe like Hawkins!" Lucas exclaimed, realisation hitting him.

"Upside-down," Eleven spoke softly.

"What'd she say?" Lucas questioned, his tone changing when it was El who spoke, making Via narrow her eyes slightly.

"She said upside-down." Via looked at Lucas firmly, as if she was daring him to try anything else

"What?" Lucas asked again. Via was about to start arguing.

"Upside-down," Mike repeated once more, interrupting, "when Eleven showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember? Upside-down, dark, empty."

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas gave Dustin a bored look.

"No." Dustin replied shortly.

"Guys, c'mon, think about it! When Eleven took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?" Mike explained, sitting up in his chair around their table, using the D&D board as demonstration.

"yeah, and he wasn't there," Lucas replied stubbornly.

"But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side! What if this is Hawkins, and," Mike flipped over the board to the base, where it was completely plain black "this, this is where Will is! The upside-down!"