I went to open the door, cracking it just a bit to see if there was anyone behind him.

"Any chance I can get breakfast?" I ask hopefully.

"Yeah, no problem."

I open the bathroom door all the way and skip out. My toes were instantly cold on the hard-wood floor, but I didn't care. Food and father, that's what mattered to me.

"Think I can see my dad first?"

"Well, Hon- Mira, that's not up to me. But I can definitely get you breakfast."

"Who is it up to?"

"I don't know. The doctors? My alpha? I don't just want to assume. Let's get you some food first, we'll figure it out soon. K?"

"Yes, Sir."

Cole opens the door to the hall way and ushers me out. The hall way is cold, and devoid of any sleeping mutts.

"Where is Lowell?"

He shrugs, "When I woke up, I told him I'd watch you. He's probably sleeping in a real bed for a little before he has to get up."

"Ah. He's not too good with the hardwood?"

"Is anybody?"

I shrug, "I'd been sleeping on the floor of my truck for a while now. We just recently got cots, they were a nice addition."

"How was the bed last night?"

"Umm- heavenly! I almost didn't make it out of bed."

He smiles as we head down the stairs and into the kitchen. As we rounded the corner I froze for a moment when there were already two people awake and cooking. I recognized them, it was Nails, and that teenager that found me on the river.

"Hi." Nails says.

I swallow and start to walk, resisting the urge to turn around and go back to bed.

The teenager just stares at me. I think the last time I saw her, I growled at her. I wouldn't be too warm with me either.

"Morning." I say quietly. I make a point to smile at the teen. I guess I'm a teen too. But she looks younger than me.

"Mira, this is Julie," He points at Nails. "And this is Austin." The teen looks away from me and back down to the book she is reading.

It took all my might to not comment on her boy's name. She didn't look like an Austin. Austin is that stuck up blonde on the football team who swears he should be the next quarter back; not some skinny shy wolf girl who reads.

"Hello." I say as pleasantly as I can manage.

"We were just gonna grab something and we will be out of your way." Cole moves to a cupboard and starts rummaging through. Julie smacks the cupboard shut.

"You can wait, just like everyone else. I don't wake up this early for my health. I'm making you breakfast."

I was instantly annoyed. I wanted food now.

"Sorry, mom," Cole jokes.

"She's your mom? You're his mom?" They looked the same age to me.

Cole laughs.

"No. I'm not his mom." She tries to smile. I think she is uncomfortable with me being here. I'm uncomfortable being here.

"Oh." I wanted to ask for clarification, how did she fit into all this? My first thought was that since she is cooking in the alpha's kitchen, she might be the alpha's wife, I didn't ask. I wanted to.