Chapter 5

Ophelia got home late that night, trying to quietly walk to her room. When she closed her door behind her, she sat at her desk and thought about the task she had been given. Finding out what Rodan was planning would be difficult, especially for her. She hadn't spent much time communicating with humans. Staying within Nyad boundaries had just seemed easier. In fact, she had only seen Rodan once.

 About a year ago, Leanal had brought her along with him on a diplomatic mission: Ending Nyad-Human violence for good. However Rodan had been less than civil, to put it gently, with the Nyad guests. Ophelia remembered how Rodan's insulting words against Leanal made her blood boil. Whenever she imagined her future as Leader, she worried that Rodan would taunt her enough to force her to start yet another war between the two species.

 Sighing, Ophelia pulled out  a box she kept under her bed. It was not very impressive; the wood was scratched and the paint was peeling off. Her fingers undid the silver latch and lifted the top. Inside, a photo album and a locket were laid neatly. She reached for the photo album first, slowly flipping through the pages. It amazed her how she could look at pictures of the two people that brought her life and feel as if she was looking at strangers. After a couple minutes, she replaced the photo album and retrieved the locket. Leanal told her it had belonged to her mother. Ophelia held the locket tightly as she admired the beauty in its simplicity.

"Who were you, Mother? What were you like?", she whispered. Suddenly, Ophelia let the locket slip from her hands in surprise as she saw the room around her change. It was like she had teleported to another time.

The room she was now in was lighted by candles. A woman was holding a newborn tightly as she sat in a rocking chair. There was another woman leaning against a wall. Neither of the two acknowledged Ophelia at all.

"Sandel," The woman against the wall was speaking, "You need to take your child and run. He will be coming soon now.". The woman's voice was pleading, she sounded gravely worried. Ophelia examined the woman's face, shocked as she realized she knew it well. She had stared at it in pictures every night. One quick glance at the locket the women wore confirmed her suspicions. She was looking at her mother, the famed Nyad warrior, Arin. Ophelia didn't recognize the woman in the chair, but she guessed that was Sandel.

"Rin...I could run for miles, change my name, my appearance... but that man would not stop until he found me. He wants my son, and he wants me dead. That's why you must take my boy and protect him as your own. I beg of you.", Sandel was crying quietly as she gazed at her newborn's face.

"You can't give him up like this. And I won't allow you to put yourself at risk. You expect me to allow your murder?" Arin slowly went to Sandel's side. Ophelia watched intently, her mind racing as she tried to understand what was going on in front of her.

"Arin, my only wish is his safety.", Sandel held the baby out. Arin sighed as she pulled a chair over to Sandel and sat next to her. She took the baby into her hands.

"What will you name him?" Arin attempted to lighten her friend's mood.

Sandel smiled a bit, "I was thinking of my grandfather's name. My grandfather, he was the kindest man you'd ever meet. Sharp as a tack, too. Please name him Seladin.".

Ophelia moved closer, to hear them better. She vaguely recognized the name. However, she couldn't exactly remember where she had heard it.

"You will name him. Stop talking as if you shall not be around to do it yourself.", Arin said firmly as she caressed the baby's cheek.

Sandel ignored her, "Your daughter is around his age, yes? He won't be lonely.." Ophelia realized she must be talking about her.

"Sandel, stop this nonsense at onc-" A loud sound outside the house interrupted Arin's scolding. Sandel abruptly stood from her chair, her eyes filling with terror. Arin also stood and she held the baby close.

"Arin, leave with Seladin now. My fate is here.", Sandel begged.

"Take him, Sandel. Take him and run. I will deal with this monster.", Arin demanded. Sandel shook her head.

"You were the greatest friend I had...how lucky am I? How lucky to know my beautiful son will be raised by a strong, kind warrior. You and your husband can provide him more than I ever could.", Sandel sobbed as she put a hand on Arin's cheek.

Arin tried to force Sandel to take the baby from her. But, in their arguing, they failed to notice a man enter the room. He reminded Ophelia of someone as he slowly walked in, followed by two armed men. Ophelia thought this must be the man Arin and Sandel were terrified of.

"He's here! He's here! You have to go!" Ophelia yelled in vain. She was like a phantom, powerless to do more than watch. Her yelling just got louder as she saw the man take a gun from one of his armed men and aim it at Sandel's back. Arin finally noticed him, but it was a moment too late.

"Rodan, no!" Arin sobbed as he pulled the trigger. Ophelia gasped tearfully as she heard the name. Sandel fell to her knees, the grey blood of a Nyad quickly pooling around her. Arin screamed in anger and misery as she watched her best friend fall. She held the now wailing child tighter in her arms.

"You will not have him, you monster!" She began backing away. Rodan lowered the gun, unfazed by the murder he had just committed.

"Hand over my son.", Rodan ordered.

"Nyads don't abandon Nyads, Rodan. You may not be able to grasp the idea of loyalty, but I understand my duty all too well.", Arin stood defiantly. Ophelia's heart beat fast as she watched Rodan raise the gun again.

"Mother, no! Please!" Ophelia cried out as she watched.

But another gunshot was unavoidable and suddenly, Ophelia was back in her room. The locket was in her hands again as she sobbed. Her whole life she had been told that her mother died in battle. Leanal had lied to her...and continues to consort with the man who slaughtered her mother.

Two things became very clear to Ophelia as she ran out of tears to cry. One, she was going to find out the truth about what conspiracy was taking place. And two, Rodan was going to regret the day he ever learned to use a weapon.