She could picture a younger him with an infectious smile riding horses in the plains just like she did when she was younger, hiding when rain fell and playing swords with his brothers. Only, he would be in Inae and she in Orse. Regardless, she felt a sort of kinship with him that she hadn't felt with another.

If his master hadn't been so ambitious then maybe they would have been better acquainted by now. Maybe they could have been friends.

Soon enough the vision faded and she was brought to the present with dark clouds rolling over her head and thunder cracking in the background. It took all she had not to clap her hands over her ears in anticipation of the deafening sound each time she saw lightning flash.

She had not always been this scared of storms, but falling off a horse during one changed things. A part of her couldn't help but feel that they were bad omens, particularly when horses were involved.

"I have yet to reach the capital," she stated, still not able to take her eyes away from Mikeal. "My station has been yet to be determined, milord."

"You may call me by my name," he said, his hand still on her arm despite the fact that they both now stood at full height, "My Lady."

"Then," Oris started, feeling her heart pick up its pace the longer he stared at her, "I shall, milo. . . Mikeal."

She felt like offering the same but it was yet to be determined whether she would use Eve's name or her own so it was best to be as vague possible in conversations.

Then Mikeal smiled. The sight was vague but despite that, Oris felt heat rush to her cheeks when she realized that she had wanted to see him pleased with her.

She bowed her head and took a step back, confused as to why she could still feel her heart beats in her fingertips. She was neither terrified or angry, so why?

Her sudden retreat caused Mikeal's hold on her to slip, his fingers moving gracefully down her upper arm to grasp her hand lightly.

He lifted her digits to his lips and placed a soft kiss atop her knuckles.

Alarmed, she jerked her gaze from the muddy ground back towards him but saw no fear in his eyes. He didn't care that she was the emperor's future bride just like she found herself not caring that he was Hermes' Knight.

They held each other's gaze and remained unmoving, frozen in that instant until the sound of a man's loud cursing interrupted the moment.

Oris jumped away from Mikeal as the Knight vaulted himself into the driver's seat, her hands shaking as she turned in preparation for Faeradaigh's arrival.

"I finally found a place, it's not all too pretty but it will be decent enough to fend the storm off in," he said, his thin lips pulled into a deep frown. "I need to get back to make sure they don't go about changing their minds. It's best you get in the carriage," he shot a glare at the sky, "I wouldn't want you getting wet."

Oris curtsied and said nothing, watching him stomp away. She had long given up wondering what he had done to get his position. She just hoped that she'd be seeing less of him in the palace.

She reached up for the carriage door, not minding having to get in her herself—Faeradaigh had carted the wooden steps along with him for whatever reason. She didn't want Mikeal to be so close to her when she hadn't yet figured out his intentions and understood why she herself was so open with him in the first place.

The carriage floor was only two or three steps away from the ground. The distance was one she knew she'd be able to make without embarrassing herself but before she could even make an attempt warm fingers settled on her waist. Both surprising her and taking her breath, the hands lifted her into the carriage.

"Mikeal!" she shouted without a second thought then turned around to face him when she realized what she had done. "That was," she cleared her throat, her cheeks set aflame, "highly improper."

Mikeal didn't say anything at first, just watching her closely as though she was something to decipher. Then he shook his head. "You could have called for assistance."

"I was fine on my own."

"You are special because you are the last beauty to solidify His Majesty's reign," he said suddenly.

It took some seconds for Oris to realize that he was answering her earlier question. But before she could say another word, the carriage door was shut, sealing her in darkness with a thousand thoughts milling about her mind.

~

Aw snap, what do you guys think? How many of you enjoyed this chapter as much as I did?

One can only imagine how much drama there will be once she gets into the palace.

Maybe I will add more cliffhangers to keep you guys on your toes and itching for more chapters.

Till my next update, goodbye.

;))))