"At your service, My Lady," the man said, neither denying nor accepting her statement.

Oris nearly laughed on seeing how her own ploy had been used against her. Slightly intrigued, she shuffled closer to the man, ignoring the way the wind was whipping her hair, veil and dress about.

"Does His Majesty know you're here, milord?" She hugged herself tightly in an effort to keep warm while peering up at him.

"There are no more battles in which I need to prove my mettle."

"Afraid of wasting away in the palace?"

"Afraid of His Majesty bestowing a title upon me and forcing me to settle down," he said with what had to have been a conspirational smile.

Oris laughed at that, she couldn't help it. It had been so long since she had had a decent conversation with someone who spoke so freely about Hermes. It was utterly refreshing.

"So, you chose to escape to the corners of his newly founded empire?" she teased without even realizing that she was doing it.

"A part of me hoped he wouldn't find me," he said bitterly, but there was detectable humor in his tone. "But he did and now I'm heading back in order to fulfil a degree."

"Will you be punished?" Oris asked, slightly worried for his wellbeing. "It is hard to find such a versatile driver in these times."

The man laughed. It was a pleasant sound amongst all the thunder. Loud and long and full of feeling.

She remembered times when Bren used to laugh like that. Now he didn't even so as much as flash a smile in her direction. Sometimes she thought the he didn't love her anymore but all she had to do was watch for how he stared at her when he thought she wasn't aware and all those doubts were wiped away.

He was always holding himself back, afraid of what would happen if he indulged his desires. All because Fate had decided that their destinies were not aligned.

"You did not ask what the decree was."

Oris blinked and stared at the man, his quiet words pulling her away from the past. "What was the decree?" she asked cautiously.

"To protect the emperor's bride on her way to Heshera," he said. "That kills two finches with one shot, does it not? Ensuring my returning while guaranteeing your safety."

"Quite," she replied, for lack of anything else to say. "Were the other ladies privileged enough to have you as company?"

"No," the Knight shook his head, "their security was quite lax, compared to your at least."

"So what makes me so special," Oris asked. "Milord?" she added, realizing how carried away she had gotten. She had forgotten the difference in their stations.

"Mikeal," he said, bowing his head slightly, "My Lady."

"It is a pleasure to be acquainted," she held her hands to the left of her and lowered down in a curtsy, not missing the way his lips quirked up into a half smile.

In a flash, Mikeal was by her side, a hand on her arm to lift her up. "Someone of your station shouldn't bow to the likes of me," he shook his head softly.

Oris turned to look at him, now able to see his distinct features through the veil now that he was up close.

The Knight had muddy brown hair packed into a high ponytail and equally brown eyes that scanned her twice as though he was also observing her for the first time.

He was tan, his skin far from fair and pale, showing that he spent most of his time in the Sun's embrace. The color was something Oris envied, for no matter how long she stayed outdoors, her skin remained pale.