"Perhaps, a background check would be good. What do you think?" I suggested and saw her nodding in approval.

We were heading towards my study when she spoke again,

"Did you sleep well yesterday, Danny?"

I controlled my urge to roll my eyes at Ariel's question. Why does she keep on asking the same question every morning?

"Yeah. I slept well." I lied like I did everytime she asked me this question.

"I'm your sister, Danny. At least, don't lie to me. Don't you think your being too hard on yourself?"

Why does she sound like Carlos, my annoying wolf?

"I'm fine, Ariel. You don't have to worry about me."

"How can I not? You're my brother. I know things didn't work out the way you wanted it to be but you have to understand it. Stop dwelling about the past. Think it as a sign to move on. I know Kiana was your mate, but maybe Kiana and you weren't meant to be. Maybe there's someone else destined for you. Someone better."

I didn't reply. I just silently walked beside her. I know what she said is right. I freaking know she's right. But I can't help it. I have tried. I have tried to forget her. But nothing seems to work.

Only if she would have apologised and promised to never betray me again. Only if she didn't reject me even when I begged her not to. Only if....

There were so many only if's. But those things would never happen.

Because I'm no longer the person I used to be. This Daniel is different. And now, even if she crawls to my knees asking for forgiveness, I won't grant it.

I didn't even realise when we reached outside my study. Ariel gave me a gentle squeeze on my shoulder with a smile before heading towards her room.

I sighed. She worries way too much.

I turned the doorknob to step inside the study and was surprised to see the sight in front of me.

Ariana was seated on my chair, sleeping with her arms folded above the table and her head rested on them. The view of her face was mostly obstructed by her chestnut hair that fell messily on her face.

Why did she come here? Wasn't she sleeping in my room? Did she wake up then came and slept here?

That's incredulous. Why would she do that. She isn't even wearing her nightgown from last night so she must be here for some reason. I should just wake her up and ask about it.

I headed towards my desk and cleared my throat to gain her attention but was greeted with slow snores. I cleared my throat louder this time yet, no response.

"Ariana" I called out her name.

Nothing.

Damn! She's really fast asleep!

She was sleeping soundly. Her hair falling all over her face.

Yeah. Those hairs are hindering the view of her face which -if I may add- is so irritating.

It's like I'm talking to a ghost with long hair hanging in front of her face.

I stepped closer to her. The table which was the only thing between us didn't make quite difference due to my huge frame as I leaned to where she sat.

I extended my right hand to her face and slowly brushed off her soft silky hair away and tucked it behind her ear.

Whew! Now I could see her face. Wait...

I didn't even realise until now that my face was so close to hers and I could certainly access every feature of her face from this close.

Now that I look from this close, Ariana has a very beautiful face.

She has perfectly shaped eyebrows and dark lashes, that cascaded a shadow on her pale skin. Her cheeks has a natural light pink tint. My eyes travelled down to her luscious pink lips, and I brushed of any stupid thought that would pop in my head.

You aren't that bad, Ariana. Then why doesn't your mate want you back?

I couldn't help but stretched my hand to her face and caress her soft pink cheeks which made me feel really nice for some weird reason and even bought a smile on my face.

Her eyelids suddenly fluttered open revealing her beautiful emerald eyes making me freeze on the spot and my eyes widen, with my hand still on her cheek.

Oh, no. How am I going to justify my action now?

_____