33. Good Things Fall Apart

Comenzar desde el principio

He didn't say anything, just stood there staring.

"Gabriel?"

He cocked his head. "Who's Thomas?"

"The guy who works at the pet store. Do you understand what I'm saying? I killed Alpheus. But it was in the best possible way. Not from neglect but being too good at taking care of him. I fed him too much. I thought he was hungry. You trusted me, and I let you down. I feel terrible about that. But in my defense, I've never had a fish, and the directions on that food are prit-tee vague."

She braced for his wrath. Maybe she should have mentioned last night. Sex in front of the fireplace. In the shower. Yeah, that would be her defense. Didn't have anything to do with Alf's death or her keeping it a secret, but it would remind Gabriel she was his favorite thing to do.

"Say something."

He glanced over her shoulder at the fish tank and pointed. "So—he's..."

"Alpheus number two."

Then he held up the bag again. "Alpheus number one?"

She twisted her mouth around and nodded. "Are you mad? I mean, you have every right to be. Not only did I kill your fish, I kept it from you. Mostly because I didn't want to break your heart, but also because I didn't want you to get angry." She wagged her head, then shrugged. "Well—if I'm honest, probably more about the angry part than the heartbreak."

He grinned. "I should really let you suffer a bit more because you're so damn cute when you think you're in trouble, but I can't do it. I'm not mad. Hell, I didn't even buy Alpheus. Won him for Lina at the local fair pitching quarters, then Elena wouldn't let her have it. Said she wasn't old enough for that much responsibility. Would probably kill the thing right off the bat. And she didn't want to be constantly replacing it to keep from upsetting her. Hell, I thought he'd be dead months ago."

She threw her arms around him. "Thank you."

"Besides, without an autopsy, we can't be sure you committed a crime. I'm afraid there isn't enough left of him for that."

She pinched his butt. "Now you're making fun of me."

He grinned. "Little bit."

She tiptoed and kissed him. "You better get to work."

"Yeah. You going to the pie bake-off?"

"Yes. I'm headed to your mom's as soon as I get dressed. I'm nervous about it."

"Don't be. If she's entering the recipe you made last night, she'll win." He kissed her again. "Text and let me know how it goes."

"I will." She followed him to the garage. As he got in the truck, she yelled. "You're my favorite thing to do, too!" Then she blew him a kiss, and he was gone.

*

Silbie had a dozen other things she should be thinking about, but since getting the news of Owen leaving, he consumed all of her brain space. She desperately wanted to see him, but Zari wouldn't let her go to Dallas without Mom's blessing. Silbie wasn't sure she could get it but needed to have the problem solved before Zari arrived to help with the contest.

She squared her shoulders. Took a deep breath. Walked to the kitchen where mom stood elbow deep in ingredients.

"Mom, I need to talk to you about something."

"Mija, I'm swamped right now, so let me help cut this conversation short. I know Zari is going to Dallas tomorrow. I know Owen is leaving. I imagine you want to go with her. Right?"