~Chapter 14; The Lion, The Snake, And The Helpless Hares~

"I see. Then would you team up with an unreadable reincarnate and an unreadable manipulator to do so?"

"What-?"

But before anyone else could say anything, the door opened abruptly, revealing Ayame and Jiro, who were both impassive.

Ah, thought the both of them in unison, that's why the room wasn't soundproofed.

Their eyes glinted as they saw the scene in front of them, impassive and cool.

It was a set up.

"Introducing," said Jade in a deadpan tone, a woman with straight, bright green hair and sharp neon violet eyes. "Kitiara Sayua, thirteen-year-old suspected reincarnate, and Jiro Hansuke Chiroko, a 'normal' sixteen-year-old student with 'normal' relations with royalty and otherwise."

Lily and Keiko gaped at Ayame and Jiro, who strutted in so indifferently it was as if they hadn't been caught eavesdropping.

Ayame remained silent, silently glancing at Jade and the stunned sisters.

"What do you four say? Up for a beneficial union?"

"Beneficial?" repeated Ayame blankly, speaking for the first time.

"Why, of course, it would be a beneficial union." said Jade, turning to face her. "Don't you want to know why the Seven Snake Eyes are following you? Or better yet, how they found out?"

"And how will they be of help?" asked Jiro in turn, who hadn't so much as glance at the two.

"Simple. They lead you to Ivory Belle, you help them figure out which role their parents played, and you get to find out what they plan on doing with her."

She inclined her head towards Ayame, neon violet eyes glinting darkly.

"How will they lead us to Ivory Belle?" asked Ayame blankly.

"It won't be long until the Seven Snake Eyes send people after them." said Jade nonchalantly, "Intercept those people. I'm sure you'll do well."

"You best be off," said Jade, after a moment of dumbfounded silence. "The Academy isn't so keen on letting three students run amok so late at night, especially with what's been happening."

"Three-?" asked Keiko, bewildered, but before she could continue whatever she wanted to say, Ayame's clear voice interrupted her.

"You," she inclined her head towards Racura. "stay out of contact with your sister. Head to the guild, register as a hunter, and seek protection there. Don't go out of the guild no matter what. They'll understand."

Lily Racura looked taken aback by these orders from a petite hunter, but stayed silent nonetheless.

"Stay at the Academy," she said to Keiko, who was still confused at the sudden change of events. "stay in groups, don't wander at night. We'll contact you when we need you. Don't trust anyone. You can't afford to."

Ayame took the lead and turned on her heel indifferently, Jiro following her silently, but then Keiko's voice rang out, albeit nervously.

"W-Wait! Just a minute, what do you mean, we're bait? We want to help, not act as-"

"This is the best you can do." cut off Ayame coldly. "You have no power, be it physically, magically, or in terms of influence or ranking. You are weak." she punctuated every word. Keiko looked angry and frustrated.

"We are not weak! Who do you think you are, leeching off us for your own selfish reasons!" burst Keiko, snapping.

"Take a look at yourself before spouting nonsense, fool." was the only thing Ayame said, as she continued to walk out of the corridor. Lily placed a hand on Keiko's shoulder, for she showed all signs of continuing the pointless argument.