Chapter 1: I made my choice

|Just a quick disclaimer. I don't own any of the characters. This particular fanfiction is not an entirely original work. I choose to reinterpret the end of season 5, beginning with 5x12 as Kane and Diyoza decide to turn themselves in. The course of the original events will change more drastically as the story progresses so don't click off just yet, things will take unexpected turns in the upcoming chaoters. Enjoy. (Also, if you are sensitive to bloody and brutal things like torture scenes, then maybe this isn't the story you're looking for, sorry :(. )|

"Don't shoot! Don't shoot! We surrender!" shouted Kane, slowly walking out of the cave, hands in the air.
"On your knees and don't move, or I'll blow your head off!" one of the soldiers advanced, making sure to keep Kane at gun point. His heart was racing and tiny drops of sweat were slowly sliding down his forehead. With every second that passed, he started to regret more and more agreeing with Diyoza's plan. It was madness! They barely escaped from that cursed village and now they would walk straight back in and that without resisting.
"I got her! This bitch! Should have thought that she wouldn't come without a fight, but this time I was prepared." the other soldier that descended into the cave to search for Diyoza was now emerging with an evil grin on his bloodied up face and pulling roughly on a rope.
"NO! STOP!" without thinking, Kane jumped on his feet breaking into a quick run to catch the falling woman. He got her right as she was about to fall face first on the ground. Her grateful, but terrified look was the last thing he saw before he felt his head aggressively swing sideways. Was he rendered unconscious? He would have wished for that, because that way he wouldn't have felt his head hit the hard ground. He didn't pass out from the blow to the head, but he also wasn't fully conscious. He could hear, but his vision was blurred at such a degree that he couldn't make out anything more than a few huge dots of color. He could hear Diyoza screaming, cursing at the two soldiers, but he couldn't focuse enough to actually understand what she was saying.

Diyoza's heart stopped as the soldier who guarded Kane came behind him swinging his gun and knocking him off his feet with a hard blow to the head. Kane crashed, letting out a deep groan as his body thudded to the ground. She fearfully watched his limp body, searching for any small movement, but there was none, he couldn't move. Panic was overtaking her mind and body. Kane wasn't anything more than an associate to her at this point, a partner on her great journey to save the human race in a peaceful way. And yet here she was, crying and yelling at the two soldiers who she considered her people just a few days ago, for injuring a man who was nothing more than her prisoner the first time they met. Did she care for Kane? Her plan doesn't necessarily require him to be alive so that wouldn't be a reason why she would worry about his fate. But she does worry and with every moment that passes, her eyes stay fixed on his still figure, hoping for the slightest sign to show her that she didn't lose him yet. Why did the fear of losing him suddenly fall so heavy on her heart? It was like he truly meant something for her, like the world wouldn't be the same anymore if his life would tragically end at this very moment, like something inside her chest would shatter at the pain the thought of losing him could create. There was no point in denying that she had developed certain feelings for him, especially in the past few days as they were all hiding in the cave. He seemed to have had experienced the same wave of feelings and he didn't hesitate to show her that on multiple occasions. She wasn't sure how to feel about all of this. It didn't suit her character to fall in love, let alone fall in love so easily with a man who she was ready to kill on their first encounter. However, something about Kane clearly made her tap into a part of her heart that she kept under lock and key for numerous years.

A sudden movement followed by an agonising moan made her snap out of the trance she fell in. Her heart was now rushing in her chest as if it wanted to escape, the relief mixed with concern being too much to handle. She observed as Kane struggled to get on his knees, trembling at every step.