𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗

The dreaded Monday came. Another day without a family breakfast. I was slowly starting to get used to it. At first, the lack of family time had felt so foreign to me. Breakfast, especially,

My father had tried to give me a kiss that morning before he left. And for the first time, I had pushed him away.

I had refused to be driven to school with my siblings, preferring to walk and to clear my mind. I needed to tell someone else what was going on with me. But I didn't think any of my friends would have enough time for me. They all went to different schools, some of them attending college already.

My first class of the day was with Mackenzie. I hated that. How was I going to face her? I wished I could have stayed at home. But for the sake of my family, I had to put on a brave face, like the adults around me.

The moment I saw Mackenzie, however, I couldn't hold it anymore. Images from last week filled my mind. I wasn't going to let her win and keep my father.

Alas, when I tried to confront the one I saw as an enemy at the moment, Yara Shahidi, her best friend, jumped from her seat in her defence:

"Woah, Woah, Woah! What do you think you're doing?"

I simply ignored her. Just because she spoke words for justice on the Internet, didn't mean she could intervene in what was something between me and Mackenzie.

Instead, like a young child, I pointed a finger at the smaller brunette: "You and your mother are homewreckers! You deserve nothing!"

Yara raised her voice, speaking up for Mackenzie, who had been left stunned:

"What are you talking about? What's your problem?!"

By now, our classmates were staring at us, wide-eyed, like they were the spectators of the most interesting movie at the cinema. They only needed the popcorn to fully fulfil that role.

I shoved in Yara and Mackenzie's faces my most favourite photo of me and my father that I always kept with me for good luck. It had been taken on the day my father had brought me to work with him for the first time. The most special day of my life - the day I had decided I wanted to direct movies:

 The most special day of my life - the day I had decided I wanted to direct movies:

"You destroyed this! You destroyed my family!", I roared. I could hear gasps from my classmates' mouths.

That was when Mackenzie burst into tears.