Prologue: An Epiphany

"Suddenly I landed.

The wind knocked out of me.

Heavy gasps.

Breathing in slowly.

Fingers checking.

Nothing broken.

Eyes closing.

You smiling.

Me realizing.

How hard I have fallen.

In love."

                                                                                           ***

"Daadi have you taken all the tablets? Even the one for BP you keep forgetting?"

"Yes my child, I have taken them all. Don't worry about me, I am with Indu here. You go spend some time with Abhi now. I will see you for dinner."

Pragya smiles at her daadi's and shut the door behind her and is about to walk away when she overhears their conversation.

"Didi, it's been so long now. Our Abhi and Pragya have overcome all their misunderstandings and are always looking out for each other. I feel so happy seeing them. But I wonder when are they going to give us the good news? It's been so long that I haven't fondled a little one."

"Arre Indu, you just said, what I have been pondering about for some time now. Now Raj's children have grown up, they have their own studies and friends. They hardly ever come to visit us. How I would love to hear the cries of my Ahi's little one in the house now. With my great grandchild for company, I will become a healthy horse again!" smiled daadi, at the mere idea of the baby's presence.

Pragya smiled, and left for her room. The sound of her and Abhi's child playing in the Mehra Mansion with daadi, daasi and keeping them company, made her heart grow warm. Indeed, they were right. There was no misunderstanding between her and Abhi now. He treats her nicely, and never gloats and talks about the day she will leave the house. She hardly ever sees him talking about or meeting Tanu. Maybe he doesn't want her to leave anymore? And if that is true and they are finally on the right track, then why does he never tell her that? Why are they still living life like the two banks of a river. Always together, always taking care of lives around them, but never really together in the right sense.

Pragya went to the kitchen to make Abhi's cinnamon coffee and ruminated about the state of their relationship, when it struck her suddenly. This was Abhi she was talking about. Apart from being daadi's loving grandson and Aaliyah's caring brother and her sweet, adorable companion (well now at least!), he was still predominantly ABHI - The only Rock-Star of the entire nation. He carried along with him an ego that was roughly the size of an obese African elephant! However sweet and cute he may behave, a little bit of the rockstar always ebbs in him thought Pragya lovingly. He would never own up before her - his "char aankho wali biwi/chashmish/fuggy" - that he wants her to stay, that he wants their relationship to work. At most, he would drop hints - isn't he already doing that? Didn't he challenge her to propose to him, didn't he say she was romantic indeed and lucky would be the guy who she actually proposes to? Well, was he hinting her to make him lucky? Pragya blushed at the thought. She realized the time has come, to take their relation to the next level - to truly be man and wife. She was going to tell Abhi about her feelings. And she would make it his most memorable night.

***

"Oyi fuggy! Why can't you tell me where we are going? And why did you take so long to dress up? And why are you wearing a saree? Don't you wear sarees only on special occasions? Oh! I got it now, so today is special? Hmmm...but how do you know that today is special? I haven't told you anything yet! You can't know unless you have cheated! You cheater!" finished Abhi with a fake angry pout.