Chapter 6: Common Ground

"What the fuck is this?" Subaru growled as he read the words from the letter his familiar dropped on his lap.

"That bastard...always doing this shit," he grumbled as he stood up and stormed out of his room and over to Violet's as he rudely opened the door without knocking and shouted, "Oi, have you seen this shit?"

Violet, who was moderately surprised by his sudden appearance, was brushing her hair after getting out of the bath.

"What is it?" She asked with a worried expression as Subaru tossed the letter on her lap.

"You are hereby cordially invited to a formal ball celebrating the engagement of Subaru Sakamaki and Vio-" she started to read before pausing and groaning, "Your father is throwing us an engagement party? Ugh, why?"

"He's so annoying," Subaru complained in agreement. The two sighed and looked at each other before Violet asked, "Does this mean people are going to have their eyes on us the whole time?"

"Very likely," Subaru answered before asking with a dull tone of voice, "Wanna skip town?"

"As if that's an option," Violet chuckled at Subaru's shared apathy for formal events. In noticing her smiling, Subaru gazed at Violet with a soft expression, somehow curious of her as he asked, "You don't like these sort of things? Isn't Olympus known for flashy events and the like?"

"That's exactly why I hate them," she explained, "everybody just gets together to praise the gods and use their powers. It's such a pointless thing in hindsight."

"Ah I see," Subaru nodded before coyly asking, "So does that mean you don't like using your powers?"

"It depends really," she answered, "I like having them, don't get me wrong. It's just that other nymphs are...pacifists. I don't really utilize them that much."

"Heh," Subaru chuckled before suggesting, "Well, how about you spar with me again?"

Violet made a face at him before asking , "Why would I wanna do that again?"

"W-well," he stuttered, appearing flustered as he tried to rationalize his obvious attempt to get her to play with him.

Getting visibly irritated at the lack of a response he could think up, he suddenly grabbed Violets arm and grunted, "Come on, let's just go!"

He dragged her along as he opened the sliding door to the balcony before abruptly jumping off of the edge.

Violet gasped at the sudden rush as Subaru pulled her against him so she wouldn't fall as he flew towards the flower garden where they fought before. Violet wasn't afraid of heights due to her own powers giving her the ability to levitate as well but the shear excitement of being so high in the air brought a smile to her lips.

She glanced over at Subaru, whose face she could see in clear detail due to the close proximity between them. The wind blew against his face as they descended, brushing his bangs out of his eyes. Violet observed his features with slight intrigue. She noted that his eyes were wide like a child's, excited from the momentum as they landed on the lawn.

Subaru released his hold on her before declaring, "We'll fight here. No holding back this time. Whatever you've got, I can take it."

"Are we seriously doing this, Subaru?" Violet laughed in disbelief at his childish excitement.

"Come on," he muttered lowly, lifting his fists up into a fighting stance. Violet smirked before exhaling and murmuring, "Alright, here I go."

Raising both her arms, a sudden rush of wind began encircling her as she forced her arms forwards toward Subaru, commanding the direction of the wind to shift aggressively. Subaru braced himself against her wind, before jumping really high and landing behind her, where he grabbed her with both arms and held her in place.