III

[Chapter 3: A Fate of Fools]

TW: Mentions of Rape

~18 years old~

"Ophelia!" Delilah screamed running into the police station, tears streaming down her face. "Where is my little girl."

"Ma'am." An officer stood up from his desk, the badge on his chest clearly reading Officer Morrison. "You need to calm down."

"Calm down?" Delilah asked hysterically, unknowingly yelling at the man. "How can I with not knowing if my daughter is okay?"

"Ms. Moretti," He spoke calmly, putting an arm on the hysterical woman's shoulder, "Right now your daughter is extremely shaken up, you yelling around her like this will just cause her to get even more emotional and anxiety-ridden."

Delilah took a shaky breath, trying to calm the neverending tears that were streaming down her face. "Please let me see her, where is she?"

"She is currently with Detective Sternel getting a rape kit done." Officer Morrison answered sadly, this was always the hardest part of the job. "We have the man who did this in custody."

"Who did this to her?" Delilah cried, "What kind of monster?"

"Hello Mrs. Moretti," A familiar voice called out, Delilah turned to see Justin cuffed and walking down the hallway. Justin sent her a wink, as she began screaming at him. Officer Morrison held Delilah in place as Justin was dragged away. Justin was smirking the entire time.

"She was great, especially struggling under me." Justin laughed as he was being harshly pulled towards his cell by two officers.

Delilah let out a heartbreaking scream as the tears streamed down her face. Officer Morrison's heart broke knowing this was one of the worst pains a parent could experience, not being able to protect your child. He guided the screaming mother towards a chair to wait for her daughter.

An hour later Ophelia stumbled out of the office that she was being kept in. She was no longer in her beautiful red prom dress as it had been taken for evidence. Instead, she was in a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt that a female officer had lent to her. Ophelia's face was coated with dry mascara, her lips smeared, and her hair tangled. Delilah let tears flow down her cheeks as she saw her daughter's state.

"Honey." Delilah cried as she neared her frightened daughter, bringing her into a hug. Ophelia subconsciously flinched as she felt the sudden weight on her, the weight so similar to Justin. Ophelia started breathing heavily and her mom stepped away feeling her panic. "I'm so sorry, I wasn't there to protect you."

Ophelia just shrugged mumbling, "I should have fought harder, it's my fault Ma."

"Don't you dare say that." Delilah told her daughter sternly. "This is not your fault, it will never be your fault."

Ophelia just nodded with her head down, her arms wrapped tightly around herself, trying to protect herself from everyone around her

"If you want to press charges let us know." Officer Morrison stepped into their conversation once he saw that Delilah was about to break down in front of her daughter. "We would get you into court sometime this week. He has confirmed his actions over recording, so it would be a quick trial."

"I do," Ophelia whispered quietly before clarifying, her voice breaking. "I do want to press charges."