I

[Chapter 1: A Lesson in Soulmates]

~ten years old~

"Everyone has a soul mate, someone they are meant to be with the rest of their life." The teacher told the young class of students. Today, with parent permission, was a lesson all about soul mates and everyone was excited to talk about it.

A few curious hands immediately shot in the air. The class of ten year olds were ecstatic about this lesson, they got out of math and other boring classes for the day while getting to learn more about soulmates.

"Yes Tristan?" The teacher called on one boy who was raising his hand slightly.

"What are these stupid words on my arm?" He huffed dramatically. "My parents tell me nothing."

The teacher, Ms. Margaret, laughed lightly, "That's okay Tristan, I'm here to tell you. Those are refered to as soulmarks, words that hold significance to your soulmate appear on your body."

"That's so romantic." A little blonde girl named Abigail sighed. "Does everyone have one?"

"They do." Ms. Margaret nodded, "unfortunately some have soulmates who die before they ever meet. When this happens, a person's soulmarks will turn gray to show the sad loss."

Kids looked depressed at the thought of that occuring, but another curious hand shot up, distracting them all.

"Oh oh, how do you know?" A little African American girl named Mikayla asked dreamily.

Ms. Margaret smiled gently, "You feel it, its a strong feeling when you touch them. It's indescribable."

"Can people have more than one? Once in a while I see people with two different places of words." A smart little girl named Salma inquired.

The teacher smiled and nodded, "Yes that is correct. It does not happen very often, but it is very possible."

"Ophelia has two!" Tristan called out, shoving his finger in the brunettes direction. The little girl shook gently as everyone's attention turned to her. She glanced down at her two marks, one set of words on her left arm and another longer set of words on her right. On her left it read in fancy cursive, "Cause I'm with you till the end of the line." On her right in rigid writing, "longing, rusted, seventeen, daybreak, furnace, nine, benign, homecoming, one, freightcar." This one was longer, more random, but she loved it all the same.

She rubbed her hands across both marks for comfort as kids began curiously talking. Mikayla, one of her only friends, sent the shy girl a smile. She took a deep breath before Ms. Margaret interrupted the chatter.

"There's nothing wrong or abnormal with that. Ophelia just has a big enough heart for two soulmates." She gently smiled at the shy little girl.

"I wish I had two soulmates!" Someone cried out, others nodded in agreement. Ophelia smiled lightly while looking at her soulmarks with pride, whoever they may be she was happy to have them.

As the schoolday began to come to a close, kids began to get up and grab their stuff from their cubbies. Ophelia took her time, packing everything neatly into her bag before waving by to her teacher and exiting the class. She followed the mass of student's who were shoving into eachother to exit the school.

She glanced around, looking for her foster fathers truck, grinning when she spotted it. She hurried over, dodging through students and opening the door quickly.

"Hey peanut. How was school? Learn anything new about soulmates?" Marcus asked her with a gentle smile gracing his face.

Ophelia shook her head gently, "No it's all stuff I've learned before."

"When we get home, Delilah apparently has some good news for us." Marcus informed her gently.

"Hopefully it has nothing to do with setting the kitchen on fire." Ophelia joked with a smirk on her face.

Marcus' face paled at the thought, "I hope not, that woman is going to be the death of us. She knows she is banished from stepping a foot in the kitchen."

"Ms. Delilah never listens to you." Ophelia laughed, Marcus smiled fondly at the little girl.

He cleared his throught akwardly, "You know, Ophie, you can always call us Mom and Dad, if you are comfortable with it of course! We just think of you as our daughter, and you have been a part of our family for a long time now." Ophelia nodded in response smiling at her foster father, before looking out the window of the old beat up truck, watching the flowers as passed by.

As they pulled up to the three bedroom, modest house, Delilah greeted them both at the door with a big smile on her face. She greeted them both with a hug, the hyperactive woman basically shaking with excitement. She quickly ushered them inside and into the living room. Her hands were practically shaking in excitement.

"I'm pregnant!" She squealed excitedly. Marcus immediately jumped up and took her in his arms, being very gentle with her tummy even though you saw nothing there yet. Ophelia looked down at her lap just playing with her hands, in most cases this would be the moment they give her back as they now have a real family.

"And.." Delilah trailed off, picking up a stack if papers from the coffee table. "Even though Ophie has always been a part of our family, it's now official. We've been approved for adoption! She can now officially be Ophelia Moretti."

"Are these peanut's adoption papers?" Marcus inquired while grabbing them. Delilah smiled with happy tears in her eyes, and nodded.

"I'm apart of the family now?" Ophelia asked with tears steaming down her rosy cheeks. Marcus and Delilah gathered the small girl into their arms, smiling happily as their family came together.