Chapter 4 (Pic of Zane)

Chapter 4

I walked with Zane down the hall, harsh silence filled the air and I knew something was wrong. Phillip, Zane's wolf, had always been quiet ever since Zane had trained him to stay like that in order to protect mom and I easier. But not today. Phillip was howling and whimpering inside Zane's chest, making my suspicions high. Zane rubbed his hands against his jeans, mumbling under his breath something at Phillip. I couldn't quite tell what he was saying but I knew it wasn't good. Zane would look over his shoulder every now and then to keep an eye on me, eyeing me head to toe than mumbling something under his breath again. He led me up the stairs to mothers side of the house, an area I was still unfamiliar with. My heart pounded in my chest making me dizzy but I swallowed it back, not letting the concern of Phillip get to me. We stopped at the end of the hallway, a huge wooden door stopping our path. Zane looked over his shoulder briefly at me, giving me a small smile. The carpet under my feet was still plush and I buried my toes in it whilst Zane tapped on the door to mothers door. Slowly, Zane opened the door and we stepped inside.

Mother sat propped at her desk, her head resting in her hands, paperwork was strewn over the desk and floor around her. The fire in the corner of the room was lit, but only enough to cast a small glow in the room.

"Mother?" Zane asked, stepping inside the room "I brought Aleisha with me"

At the mention of my name, mother lifted her head and smiles weakly at me. Swiftly, she lifted herself from her chair and over to the sofas by the fire, gesturing for Zane and myself to take a seat across from her. She watched us closely as we took a seat, not taking her eyes off me.

"Mother?" Zane said again and she flickered her eyes over to him. "Yes?"

"You need to tell her"

Mother shook her head. "No, it's too risky"

"I'll tell you what's risky! If she ends up getting hurt, now you can't say that she won't because if you don't tell her she certainly will"

"Can't you just do it?" She flung her arm over her head and slumped back into the sofa.

"Mother you know it would be best coming from you", he looked over at me and stood up. "It's not my place to do so. I'll come back when you've told her all that she needs to know". I watched as Zane exited the room, calmly shutting the door behind him, Phillip howling from his chest.

"Well I guess you were going to know soon enough" she sighed and placed her arm down delicately in her lap alongside the other one.

"Know what?" I asked.

"It's..." She licked her lips, pressing them into a thin line. "It's about your father"

I shifted uncomfortably at the mention of him. "What about him?"

Shaking her head she looked down at the ground, fixating her eyes at the small table between us, her eyes glistened over with tears. "No, I can't do it. I can't tell you" she places her head in her hands.

A strange feeling surged through me, an overprotective current formed towards the man in my life that I never knew but had a strange connection with, even though he was gone.

"What?" I snapped at her, "tell me what is wrong with dad? Why can't you tell me?"

"I don't want you to hate me" she admitted and I scoffed.

"Just tell me!" She cringed at my tone in my voice and sat up.

"Your father, he's alive"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello my dears, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update. The chapter may be a little shorter than the other ones but I like to leave cliffhangers. Hehehe. I'll try to update sooner than these last chapters. But if I don't I'm sorry. Thank you for reading so far. Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes.