Treasure Hunters

I walk up to the front desk of where Denablo works. He is the head technical engineer. I don't usually have any trouble seeing him, because I'm his sister. I don't recognize the receptionist at the front desk, she must be new.

"Can I help you?" the woman asks.

"Hi! Yes, I'm here to see Denablo Batair," I say. His department is one of confidentiality because it consists of technology that the public can not find out about.

"Can I please see your ID?" She smirks at me. She can see how young I am, she knows I don't have an ID.

"I do not have an ID, ma'am, I am not old enough to have an ID," I say, I didn't exactly walk in here with a good attitude, and I get irritated pretty easily right now.

"Then I am afraid you do not have clearance to see Mr. Batair," she claims and goes back to her computer.

"I assure you I do," I say through clenched teeth. She looks up at me annoyed.

"With no proof of that clearance, I cannot help you," she states as a matter of fact, the woman literally rolls her eyes at me. What type of receptionist is so ignorant and rude?

"Would you, please," I slam my fist on the table, "just let me through to see Denablo Batair." I clench my teeth and stare right at her. She stares back and seems to be concentrating on something, though what I can't say. Suddenly her eyes widen, and her jaw falls slightly open.

"You're an innocent!" she breathes. She must have been focusing on whatever her ability is, most likely subtle mind manipulation. It would be helpful considering her job. I open my mind, ready to manipulate her into letting me back if I need to. I hear her think about pressing the security button concealed beneath her desk. The woman gains her composure and says, "You can either leave the premises on your own free will, or I will have to call secur-"

"Dustine!" I hear Rachel call, I look up and see her walking towards the front visiting or entrance area, where the front desk is. When I make eye contact with her she raises her eyebrow at me.

"Rachel!" I smile at her, annoyance showing on my face. "Would you please tell Ms. Newbie here to let me through?"

"My name isn't Ms. Newbie," the woman says.

"I didn't catch your name, though, and you are obviously new because anyone who has been here for long knows that Denablo Batair is my brother," I say, and shoot her a stare.

"Your brother? Oh, I'm so sorry Ms. Batair! I didn't realize who you were, I'm so, so, sor-" the woman apologizes.

"Grace, just let her through," Rachel sighs. Grace nods and hands me a visiting pass that will allow me access to the elevator and the rooms around the underground portion of the facility. I walk around the front desk and link arms with Rachel. She's worked with Denablo since I moved in with him 6 years ago.

"Thank you, Rachel," I profess as we head towards the elevator to get downstairs, where Denablo works. 

"Of course!" she exclaims, "I told Grace that she was to let you through should you show up. I probably should have shown her a picture of you." I chuckle.

"I guess I don't look as much like Denablo as I thought," I claim.

"Are you kidding?" Rachel says in disbelief, "With your naturally streaked black hair, your 'Batair' face, and your general body structure? The only thing different is your eyes!" I widen my eyes.

"Really? I had no idea!" I disclose sarcastically. Just being around her lightens my mood a bit. However, only a bit. It would be more if I could tell her what was going on, but not even she knows I'm a controller.