Chapter Twenty-Nine: It Was Inevitable

I stand in an old looking living room that looks like it belongs back in the 1970's. But, judging by the calendar hanging on the wall, it's clearly 1986.

A woman who I can vaguely recognize stands in the kitchen nearby, back towards me, fiddling with something on the kitchen counter.

She turns around and looks directly at me, a smile spreading over her face as she places a tray of shepard's pie on the island. "Ahh, there you are! I've been calling you for ages," she says, her voice soft and kind.

I furrow my eyebrows and am about to speak, when someone walks beside me and towards her.

This person I definitely recognize.

It's my dad.

"Sorry, mom," he says and sits on a stool at the island, "I was busy kicking Tommy's butt in basketball."

Another figure walks into view, stopping beside me, and looking mad. "Yeah, by one point. Don't give yourself so much credit." He says, and before he continues walking, he looks me directly in the eye and winks, a small smirk on his face.

"Don't be a sore loser. It isn't my fault you suck at everything." My dad laughs, and so does the woman, who I now know is my grandmother.

I've never met her because she died before I was born, when my dad was sixteen. I'm not sure how she died or why... no one would
ever tell me.

"Boys, boys," she says, "you two are sixteen years old. Quit your bickering."

Uncle Tom and my dad roll their eyes but relent.

There's a loud crashing sound from outside and the window in the kitchen shatters, glass exploding everywhere.

I jump out of the way as a piece whizzes by my head.

"Mom!" I hear Uncle Tom scream and run over to her.

A car had driven through the house.

My dad just stands there in shock.

Tom picks up their mother, who has a piece of glass sticking out of her neck, and blood gushes out.

Uncle Tom looks at my dad and a fire burns in his eyes. "Why didn't you do anything?!" He screams, voice cracking.

"What do you mean why didn't I do anything?" My dad asks, confused by this sudden outburst.

"You knew this was going to happen! You can read minds, you must've known."

My dad's expression changes from confused to angry. "Are you serious right now?" He shouts, "you can't seriously be blaming me for this!"

Tom looks at him with a deadpan expression. "Yes. And you will pay for this."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Dad yells.

Uncle Tom looks down at their mom and slowly lowers her down to the ground. "You'll find out in time."

I wake up and rub my eyes, the sun shining through the living room window right onto my face.

Ahh! It burns!

"You're awake." TC announces, as if I didn't already know that, myself.

"Yeah, captain obvious." I mutter to myself as I sit up on the couch.

TC raises an eyebrow at me. "What did you just say?"

My mouth hangs open and I stutter, "Uh-um n-nothing."