It's Been a Long Two Weeks

Start from the beginning

"It's none of your business!" he yelled back, slamming the door behind him.

The walls rattled as the door shut and Natasha dropped back onto the couch, pulling her knees to her chest and burying her face in them. She cried until she couldn't any longer. When she finally looked up to check the time and see how long Steve had been gone, her nose was stuffy and she could hardly breathe.

As she reached for her phone to check the time, the front door opened. She looked up, hoping it was Steve instead of an intruder. Of course, an intruder probably wouldn't have a key to the house, but she also really didn't want to see Steve right now.

"Natasha?" Sam asked, stepping into the living room after shedding his shoes and jacket. Natasha immediately buried her face back in her legs and Sam rushed to her side. "Hey, it's alright, Nat. What's going on?"

"Why are you here?" she asked, not lifting her head.

Sam couldn't understand her very clearly, but he figured he knew what she was asking.

"Steve called," he told her, reaching out and pulling her into a hug. "He wanted me to come check on you."

"Where is he?" she asked, poking her eyes over her knees. Her eyes were bloodshot and puffy from crying.

"I don't know," Sam admitted, rubbing her back as she buried her face again. "He didn't tell me. He was just worried you might hurt yourself while he was gone."

"If he's worried, he should just come back," she mumbled.

Sam didn't understand what she said and the house fell silent aside from Natasha's cries.

Sam stayed for three hours, waiting for Steve to come back. When he realised Natasha had fallen asleep and Steve wasn't coming back anytime soon, he gently laid Natasha on the couch and draped a blanket over her. She woke up slightly but fell back asleep when she realised it was just Sam saying goodbye.

Sam was on his way out of the house and back toward his car when Steve rode up the driveway on his motorcycle. He waited until Steve turned off the bike, took off his helmet, and looked up before walking toward him.

"Thanks, Sam," he said quietly. Sam just raised an eyebrow at him and crossed his arms.

"How about you tell me what you told her?" Sam suggested, stepping in Steve's way as he tried to enter the house. Steve sighed and glanced behind Sam at the shut door.

"I don't remember," he admitted. He hadn't been thinking straight and couldn't honestly recall just what he'd said to her. He knew it hadn't been good, but he hadn't meant it. "I was upset. I said something about how she always jumped to conclusions which we both know isn't true. She thought I was cheating, Sam," Steve said, his voice breaking at the end. "She always doubts herself and doesn't seem to realise how much I love her."

"I know, man," Sam said softly. "But you have to admit, from her point of view you have looked a little fishy. Maybe you should just do it now before she gets it in her head you really are cheating on her."

"She already does," Steve told him. Sam sighed and shook his head.

"I don't know, man." Sam shrugged. "I know you've done all this work to make it special, but maybe she'd rather you do it in private, just the two of you. Save the plans for afterward as a celebration."

"Maybe," Steve agreed. He looked back at the door and Sam stepped out of his way, patting Steve's shoulder as he passed.

"Call me after," Sam told him. "Even if it's only an hour from now."

"You got it," Steve promised. He waved to Sam as he walked inside quietly. As he shut the door, he took off his shoes and coat and walked into the living room.

He found Natasha fast asleep on the couch. Her face was red and puffy from crying and his heart broke at the sight. She was curled in on herself as if she was trying to hide from him even in her sleep. Sam had covered her with a blanket and she almost looked peaceful, but Steve knew otherwise. She would wake up from a nightmare soon. She never slept as peacefully alone, especially after being stressed.

Steve gently knelt down in front of her, brushing her hair over her shoulder gently. She stirred awake at his touch, blinking as she tried to focus on his face.

"You're back," she said, staring at Steve blankly. He nodded and smiled softly.

"I'm sorry," he told her. She sat up sleepily, rubbing her eyes as the blanket fell from her shoulders. "I didn't mean to worry you. These last two weeks have been a mess and I'm sorry."

"Are you breaking up with me?" she whispered.

Steve shook his head rapidly, stopping himself from hugging her in case she didn't want to be touched.

"No, I promise you I'm not," he said. He got up from the floor and Natasha immediately grabbed his hand to stop him from walking away. He looked down at her and kissed her forehead tenderly. "I'll be right back. I just need to show you what I've been working on for the past two weeks."

Natasha let him go and watched as he disappeared into their bedroom. He came back a minute later with something in his hand that Natasha couldn't see. He knelt down in front of her and took her hands in his.

"I'm sorry I scared you," he told her, staring up at her as he spoke. "I'm sorry you worried you weren't good enough, but I want you to know you will always be more than I could ever ask for. I've been talking to Sharon because I wanted her help. Sam tried to help, but he's about as good as me when it comes to jewelry."

Steve opened his hand to reveal a small silver ring. It wasn't fancy: a simple band with diamonds embedded in it. Natasha just stared at it.

"I had a whole weekend planned, but Sam suggested I do it tonight instead."

"Steve, you don't—"

"I do," Steve interrupted. She looked up from the ring in his hand and he smiled at her. "Natasha, will you marry me?"

She stared at him in silence.

"You want me to marry you?" she asked after a moment. Steve nodded.

"More than anything in the world," he told her.

He watched her eyes water again but before he could ask what was wrong, she was tumbling off the couch and wrapping her arms around him tightly. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her as well, kissing her neck until she pulled away.

"I'm assuming that's a yes," he said.

"Yes," she replied, grinning as he slipped the ring on her finger.

She cupped his face and pulled him down to kiss her. He kissed her deeply, only pulling away when he knew they needed to breathe. He brushed his knuckles against her cheek and kissed her nose tenderly.

"I'm sorry again for scaring you," he whispered.

"I guess I'll forgive you," she teased, pulling him back to her for another kiss.