It's Been a Long Two Weeks

Start from the beginning

"Steve?" she asked quietly, trying to hide how her voice cracked.

"I was with Sharon," he said quietly. Natasha couldn't breathe. "Before you panic, though, let me explain."

"What's there to explain?" she demanded, holding back tears. She wouldn't let him see her cry about this. No, she could hold it back. "You've been home late six days in the past week and a half and then lie about where you're going. It would hurt less if you'd just told me you were going out with Sharon from the start than lie about it and go behind my back."

"Natasha, it's not what you think," Steve said hurriedly. He tried to take her hand from around her legs but she pulled both her hands into herself and pulled away from him entirely.

"You don't have to lie anymore, Steve," Natasha told him angrily, wiping at her face with the sleeves of her sweater. "I know she's better than me and you deserve that, but you should have just told me. She's always worked for the good guys, so it makes sense you'd choose the Pretty Agent over the Damaged Assassin."

"If you'd just let me explain," Steve said, getting worried she'd kick him out before he could.

"I don't care what you have to say!" she yelled, tears finally spilling over her cheeks freely. "I've had enough people in my life tell me I wasn't enough, I don't need you to also."

"You know that's not true," Steve said. He could feel his anger increasing, but he wasn't sure at who it was directed at: Natasha for not letting him explain or himself for making her think those things and cry.

"Then what is it, Steve?" Natasha demanded, wiping at her tears only for more to replace them seconds later. "Is it because she doesn't have scars? Is it because she doesn't kill innocent people? What is it that I don't have and she does?"

"God, Natasha," Steve groaned, dropping his head into his hands, elbows on his knees. He tugged at his hair. This was not how he imagined this weekend starting at all. "I'm not cheating on you!" he finally exclaimed, looking back up at her tear-stained face. She flinched and he wondered if he'd said it louder than he'd anticipated.

"Then why are you always with Sharon?" she hissed. He wasn't going to tell her that, that much was certain.

"It's none of your business," he replied just as venomously. Natasha glared at him. "You know, you always do this."

"Do what?" she asked, still glaring at him fiercely. "Worry about you? Accuse you of cheating?"

"You see me with someone else and assume it's because I suddenly hate you," Steve exclaimed, standing up from the couch to get some distance. Natasha remained curled into herself on the couch, but her eyes never left him. "You assume that someone's better than you just because they didn't have a rough past or can have kids. You're a spy, you're supposed to do your research before jumping in stupidly, so for the love of god, Natasha, drop it."

"I can't "drop it", Steve."

He turned around and glared at her, daring her to keep talking about it. She recoiled immediately and Steve felt his heart plummet. Clearly, he wasn't going about this the right way, but how was he supposed to know? They'd never had a serious fight like this in the two years they'd been dating. There had been smaller fights about missions and whatnot, but nothing like this. Nothing that could end their relationship in the blink of an eye.

"I have to go," he muttered, walking back toward the front door and slipping on his shoes.

"Where are you going?" Natasha asked, standing up from the couch. Steve just grabbed his jacket and stepped toward the door. "Steve!"