Chapter Sixty-Four

Start from the beginning

"I really like you, too, Oli," breathed Spencer. "Do your... do your parents know?"

"Maybe it can wait 'til after this trip," said Oliver. "Besides, I don't think I'm gay."

His heart dropped. "You... don't?"

"No. I think... maybe I'm bi. Or pan. Hell, who knows? Maybe I'm just me, and I'm attracted to you. Do I need a label for that?"

"I... I guess not, no."

Oliver smiled slightly, biting his lip, and Spencer leaned forward, kissing him this time. "You're crazy."

"Yeah. About you."

"You're an idiot," he breathed, and Oliver laughed, kissing his forehead.

"We should get going, anyway. My parents will be worried."

"Do you think they suspect anything?"

"Whether they do or not," said Oliver, "this is my first time doing anything with a guy. We have a whole two weeks to ourselves, too."

Spencer's mouth opened slowly and his heart began to race. "Wait... shit, for real?"

"Only if you want to," he said quickly. "I don't wanna rush you."

"No, I'm... I'm down."

"Really?" Oliver's eyes shone, and he kissed Spencer again. "Well, I can't wait."

"Me neither. Let's get back home."

"Home," repeated Oliver softly with a smile.

<><><><><><><><>

Red was sitting down in the living room, watching her parents dance around the living room, laughing. They were spinning around to some old song, and she was doing her homework. She didn't mind that they were loud. It was nice to see Pa smiling again.

Eventually, they slowed down, and Ma kissed him softly, before turning to Red. "Hey, baby. Sorry, we're not too loud, are we?"

"No, all good. You can keep dancing if you want."

"I'm a bit knackered, to tell you the truth," said Ma, and Pa laughed.

"Ooh, a bit knackered," he said in a high-pitched, exaggerated British accent, and she hit his chest playfully, laughing.

"You're both gross," she signed, and smiled. They both chuckled, giving her a quick kiss on the head, before Pa gave Ma another kiss. As she went to leave the room, Red clicked to get her mother's attention. 

"Are you hungry, darl?" asked Ma, sitting down. "Do you need help with your homework?"

She shook her head no, and Ma frowned. "What is it?"

"What's high school like?"

"High school? Well, it can be good, or it might not be perfect for you, but it's not the end of the world, y'know?"

She was silent, and Ryan said, "Sweetheart, I can feel that that's not all you want to talk about."

She hesitated, and Ryan kissed the top of her head. "Hon, it's okay."

"I found out about something."

"Something?"

"You were shot. A shooting at your school."

Ryan was dead silent. "There was a boy. P-E-T-E-R."

"Red, not now, okay?" she said shakily. "I'm sorry."