Chapter Thirty-Two

❝painkiller (pronounced ˈpeɪnkɪlə or peyn-kil-er), noun
a drug used to relieve pain.❞

Cassie glanced at Adrian as they made their way to the front door. "I'm... kinda nervous," she admitted to him quietly.

"Me too."

"You think everything's gone back to... well, not normal, but good?"

"Maybe." He smiled slightly, squeezing her hand. "Never gonna know if you don't knock."

She raised her fist, nervous, and knocked three times.

Ryan opened the door, and a smile lit up her face. "Cassie! Oh, and Adrian too. Come in, you two, I'm just making a cake."

"Where are Drew and Elle?"

"Sleeping. Elle was in a bit of pain today so Drew took the day off to look after her. She's doing a lot better."

"That's good to hear," said Cassie quietly. "I miss having her around, to be honest."

"Grouchy as she is, she's still our Ellie," said Adrian with a chuckle.

Ryan chuckled. "That hasn't changed too much, to be honest. Sit down, I'll make you both some tea."

"Thank you," said Cassie, settling down into a couch. Adrian sat beside her.

Meanwhile, Drew kissed Elle's forehead. Her crying had stopped, and she wasn't in so much pain. He made to leave her side, but she stirred. "No, stay," she whispered. "I want you here."

"Ellie, there are guests downstairs. I think it might be Cassie and Adrian."

"Don't care. I spent the last two years with them. I've only spent a couple of months with you." She leaned in, kissing him. "I want you here."

He sighed, moving closer to her again and holding her. He could stay like this forever. She nuzzled against his nose, kissing him again. "Please stay," she breathed.

"Okay," whispered Drew, unable to resist her. How could he? She was so beautiful.

She closed her eyes, and he brought the blankets over her, keeping her warm. She had a fever, and she was shivering again. She wrapped her arms around Drew's skinny torso, pulling herself against him with a soft sigh. He stroked her hair. "I think we should go back to the doctors, Ellie. This isn't normal for you."

She shook her head. "It's okay. I'm fine. I'm-" Her face contorted, her body seizing up, and she gasped. She scrunched her eyes closed to stop herself from letting out any sort of noise that might escape her, but a small whimper left her anyway. He watched on, concerned, and made sure not to touch her. Her muscles relaxed, and she started breathing. "S-Sorry," she breathed.

"This isn't normal," maintained Drew quietly, worry lacing his voice. "My love, we need to go to the doctors. At least take another ibuprofen."

"I'm fine," she gritted out. "I'm telling you-"

"Would you stop?" he asked, exasperatedly. "I'm not trying to imply that you're not strong. No one is. I'm trying to make you comfortable. I f*cking know you're strong, that doesn't mean you have to stick out the pain."

"F*ck you."

"Fine." He sighed, getting up. "I'll grab you an ibuprofen. You'll take it if I bring it for you."

"No I won't."

"Alright. You can be stubborn, I don't care. Do whatever you want." He stood up, leaving, and made sure she was tucked in, before leaving the room.